Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lefty sucks

Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Lefty sucks

Been trying to decide on a first rifle. I was looking at .270 but got talked out of it.
Primarily be hunting coyote, was thinking 223 22-250 or 243. Thought about savage but I'd like a clip or drop plate. Now I am finding that any of the companys don't have much to choose from for a lefty. I'd like to price a T3 but they don't make a left handed model. Do you know if they will in the future.
What is the difference between the T3 and the whitetail hunter?
Any comments are appreciated. Price is a factor but brand is not.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Lefty sucks

im not left handed but i shoot left handed and I find it easy to shoot right handed guns.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just about all of them make some LH bolts. Ruger Remington and Winchester. I lot of Lefties shoot the Ruger No. One. They make some good Varmit calibers. The NEF 223 shoots very well and sells for under 200.00 at Walmart. There is not much out there that will shoot better groups than the NEF. Most times a single shot is all you need for Varmits. In Guns and Ammo a while back they shot the Sako, Ruger NEF and Savage varmit rifles in a head to head test. The Savage won with groups just over 3/8 inch. The NEF was next at slightly under half inch. The Ruger and Sako were a little over half inch. All were 223, 22-250. or 243. I have an NEF 223 synthetic stocked rifle. It shoots tiny little groups.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Spike

I feel your pain Kerry!. I was in the market for another left but wanted a stainless/synthetic. Tikka will eventuallly offer a left hand T3 but will probably be in wood stock/blued only. The Whitetail Hunter is (I believe) a better quality rifle and several lefties can still be found on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica. If you want a stainless/synthetic and price is a factor I'd go with the Savage as I have heard out of the box accuracy is very good.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Being a left isn't that bad. I have a bunch of guns that shoot great and I am a lefty. I have a .270 a bolt in left hand(sub moa). I also have a bushmaster in .223. The shells from this semi dont bother me a bit and that also shoots sub MOA. This baby is my coyote gun. I can shoot 5 rounds under an inch in under 30 seconds. And how can I forget my Encore in 22-250. Its single shot but well worth the money. I also agree about NEF they shoot really good also. And if all else fails browning and a bunch of others makes lever actions and pumps in .243 up. You need to figure out what cal you want then try the levers pumps bolts and semis. I know you can find something you like and is accurate.
Good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I am finding that any of the companys don't have much to choose from for a lefty. I'd like to price a T3 but they don't make a left handed model. Do you know if they will in the future.
I emailed sako never got a response, called them and left a voicemalil never got a response. Called again this time I actually talked to someone in marketing and they stated right now they are assessing the southpaw market and if it will be included in 05' release in any rifle offered by tikka but offered a LH is available in one SAKO currently. So who knows if they'll offer a replacement to the WT Hunter LH for Tikka offerings in the future.

Still other companies do have some lh models. If you like the Tikka I'd look into a Browning Abolt as they offer both blue/wood and ss/syth. LH version. If you want a T3 you'll have to buy a RH action it appears for at least another year[:-].
Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Fork Horn

i am not lefty but i shoot it also... i use a lefty auto shotgun, ut the rifles i have shot have all been rightys, so far i haven't had any trouble..
Old 03-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lefty - you should have been around 40 yrs ago and being a lefty. It is amazing how fast some of us old LH ducks can crank a RH bolt. The only choices you had were Remington or Savage (and Weatherby's if you could afford them). The Rem. you had you choice of 30-06, 270, or 7mm mag. The savage was the same but they also offered the .243. Today you have Rem, Savage, Ruger, Browning, and even Winchester along with a few others. And the choice of calibers has also grown.
My latest purchase was a Browning Micro Hunter LH in 7mm-08. It has a removable box magazine which is attached to the hinged floorplate. Not sure how many calibers this rifle comes in but it comes in a bunch of em.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a lefty and back when I started hunting, used LH rifles were very hard to find and my dad couldn't afford a new one for me. So I learned to shoot a RH and became pretty fast with it. Now, I shoot a T/C Encore with barrels to take big game, turkey and varmints. Left hand or right, the Encore shoots great, shoulders awesome and best of all, spend $200-250 for a new barrel and you've got a new rifle. To me, thats hard to beat!!