Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs >

Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs

Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs

just checking out wHAT OTHER compact guns are out there. Ive seen the winchester trapper, my friend has it in 30-30. like the gun a lot, but i think its made in 44 as well. would like to try the 44 on a hog. Ok, the gun will be used almost strictly for pig hunting with a pack of dogs. Just to make shots on running hogs or dispatch of a hog that the dogs dont have under control. Of course it will still be used on still hunts. Most shots will be made under 50 yards. It might get the occasional use goat or deer hunting. Most of the shots will be pretty close as well (im a bowhunter so i like to get in close). The most important thing is that the gun is very compact. The terrain we hunt is pretty difficult to travel through and I dont need a rifle getting hung up and stopping me from getting to the dogs.

Thanks

Evan
Old 03-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs

Take a look at the following
if the 44 is all ya need look at the Ruger carbine in either semi auto or the lever version
Now if you are lookin for something with a bit more knock down look at the Marlin 336D in 35 Rem. AND for even more harumpf look into the Marlin 444P or the 1895G in 45/70 The latter 2 are 18.5" barrels and commonly refered to as Guide Guns. Short, fast and easy. Either is also very capable in taking just about any north american game we hunt out to 200 yards (even more in the right hands) I shoot the 444 using the Hornady 265 gr light mag factory loads and it anchors em real good.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

a 44 carbine would work great. have you considered a revolver chambered in 41 mag, 44 mag, or 454 casull? for close quarters a handy revolver would be nice. like rodsmith i too have the 444 carbine and i like it a lot, it's handy, it's a tad heavier than i would like but it does a fantastic job on pigs. i bought it to use in the thick stuff and have been very pleased with it, it's my primary pig buster.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

marlin 336 30.30 would be my choice. pretty small gun easy to shoulder quickly.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Ruger 44 carbine.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a short barreled 12 Ga with slugs.......it's just another way to kill a hog.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:38 AM

WE don't hunt them with dogs but my remington 742 carbine does the job everytime.... i 've taken 7 so far since deer season closed...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

A marlin 1894 is a nice fast handling gun. Got one in 44 mag. Its one to consider.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

The .44 will do a NICE job on hogs and a small carbine would be ideal for dog hunting.

the .444 and 45/70s also put quite a hurtin' on piggies...........but DANG they leave such BIG holes! Too much meat damage for close-in hunting IMHO.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 PM

A revolver is much more compact that any rifle (well maybe that S&W is a about the smae size as a small rifle but other than that). Of course shooting a revolver profeciently is much harder than a rifle, but then again challenges are what makes life interesting

Quick Reply: Best COMPACT brush gun for pigs w/dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.