HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/54482-newly-purchased-ruger-blackhawk-need-advise.html)

Huntsalotey 02-28-2004 10:28 PM

NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE

I recently purchased a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357mag. caliber. I was wanting a good , rock solid handgun to do some hunting with and for security. I know i could have gotten a bigger caliber for hunting, but i need this gun to fit the bill in about 2 or 3 areas and this one seems to do it. It looks very clean and seeems tight. I am happy.
I don't know however, about the other types Super Blackhawk, REd hawks , etc, where does the one I just purchased fit in this kind of revolvers line? Is there many upgrades. Do people who have had the New model blackhawk like them? What is the difference between a Ruger new model, as opposed to a Ruger old model Blackhawk?

Generally are they rock solid guns that can be counted on and get the job done. All models included. Are they as rock solid as we have heard so many say as opposed to others?????I got it for 275.00 is that a good price?????

Forgot to let you know that the model one that I purchased has the flattop on it. Does this add to its features?

Does anyone know the link to the Ruger Forums?

kyhillbilly74 02-28-2004 11:00 PM

RE: NEWLY PURCHASED RUGER BLACKHAWK. NEED ADVISE

Huntsalotey you won't find a more depinabel gun than a ruger in all of the models no matter if it's a 22 long rifel or a 460 magnum I fill that a ruger is a work hore and will never let you down as to the ather ? go to www.ruger .com good luck

Vapodog 02-28-2004 11:08 PM

My experience with Ruger single actions is that the first thing you do is get a very good trigger job done to them...then shoot them all day and all night if you wish.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-29-2004 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Huntsalotey

I recently purchased a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357mag. caliber. I was wanting a good , rock solid handgun to do some hunting with and for security. I know i could have gotten a bigger caliber for hunting, but i need this gun to fit the bill in about 2 or 3 areas and this one seems to do it. It looks very clean and seeems tight. I am happy.
I don't know however, about the other types Super Blackhawk, REd hawks , etc, where does the one I just purchased fit in this kind of revolvers line? Is there many upgrades. Do people who have had the New model blackhawk like them? What is the difference between a Ruger new model, as opposed to a Ruger old model Blackhawk?

Generally are they rock solid guns that can be counted on and get the job done. All models included. Are they as rock solid as we have heard so many say as opposed to others?????I got it for 275.00 is that a good price?????

Forgot to let you know that the model one that I purchased has the flattop on it. Does this add to its features?

Does anyone know the link to the Ruger Forums?
Huntsalotey, I can answer several of your questions.The difference in the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk is the SBH is a 44 mag.The Redhawk's and Super RH's are double action where the BKH's and SBH are single action. They are a very strong gun.Very sound as you say.Speer reloading manuals has a special section for loads to be used only in the Ruger's or T/C's The new models were made after 1973, prior to that the now called Old Models were made. The new models have a transfer Bar system where the Old Models didn't. The Old models are sought after by Ruger collectors.In the Old Models it was recommended to carry on a empty chamber which goes for all the old single actions including Colts.The new models are safe to carry with all 6 rounds loaded.I have a link for a Ruger Site. Sometimes it takes time to open it. www.rugerforum.com
275.00 was a fair price if it's in good condition. Apparently yours doesn't have the extra cylinder(convertible) for the 9mm?For self denfense a double action would have been a better choice. Hopefully you'll never need it for self denfense.Ruger used to make the Redhawks in 357 mag & 41 mag which were discontinued some years back.They were very heavy for a 357 mag.
The Rugerforum has allot of knowledgeable Ruger people . I visit it daily. I'm Ruger Redhawk on there.If you have more Ruger questions that would be the site to ask.I hope I answered most of your questions.As far as upgrades,there aren't any. The only up grade that wouldn't concern you would be converting the Old Model to the Transfer Bar system. I strongly advise against that for collection purposes.Ruger will return the original parts.I personally won't take that chance.

Ruger Redhawk

Nomercy 02-29-2004 09:37 AM

The superblackhawk is the same gun as what you purchased, sized up a little, with a squarebacked trigger guard, and chambered to a .44mag-only differences (It seems like they're offering the rounded "blackhawk" trigger guard on the SBH's now too, but I'm not certain if that's a Ruger option, or a distributer option).

The Redhawk and Super redhawks are double actions, meaning pulling the trigger does two actions, cocks the hammer/cycles the cylinder, and releases the sear, i.e. it fires everytime you pull the trigger, you don't have to cock it in between times. If I recall correctly, the redhawk is chambered in rounds from .357mag-.45colt, and the Super RH is .454cassul and .480Ruger, they're a little bigger and different options I think.

The blackhawk/SBH are bombproof, the redhawk/SRH are as well, although I'm a firm believer that the RH/SRH are bound to be more prone to wear and malfunction, just because they have more moving parts, not due to any true weakness of the gun itself, although to wear out either you'd have to shoot some pretty stout loads for a LONG time.

You made a great purchase, at a great price, even for a used gun, that's a good price.

Is it a flat-top 3screw or new model? The frame will have three screws intead of two pins if it is, if it's the 3screw, does it have the "upgrade" installed already? (transfer bar system)

eldeguello 02-29-2004 12:48 PM

The revolver you purchased is OK for hunting up to deer. It is not really a defense weapon, but could be used I suppose. For this, I prefer a short-barrelled shotgun!!

icthruu 02-29-2004 02:14 PM

I've got a Ruger BH in >45colt, and love it. When I got it, it came with a scope mount that screws to the top strap (dealer added it, and I don't remember what brand it is), but I handload the high pressure loads from Speer, and have shot quite a few thru it, with no obvious signs of extra wear on the gun, but my hands sure know it after about 6 rounds, the trigger guard hits my middle finger durring recoil, so I would guess that's why the superBH has the flat trigger guard.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-29-2004 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Nomercy

If I recall correctly, the redhawk is chambered in rounds from .357mag-.45colt, and the Super RH is .454cassul and .480Ruger, they're a little bigger and different options I think.

Nomercy you're close but no cigar......The Redhawks were made in 357 mag 41 mag and the 44 Mag.Now they are chambered in either 44 mag or 45Colt.The 357 and 41 were discontinued some years back.The Redhawks are available in Blued or Stainless Steel.With or without the Ruger scope rings. You are correct the SRH's are available in either 454 Casull (which will fire 45 Colt) ,the 480 Ruger and you didn't mention the 44 mag SRH..The 44's SRH's only come in satin S/S. The 454 and 480 have that Target Gray finish over the S/S.The Redhawks come either 5.5" or 7.5" bbls.The SRH's comes either with a 7.5" or 9.5" bbls. You explained well what's the difference in D/A and S/A .I guess I was assuming he knew that.I don't believe you could wear out any of these Hawks. They're very stong and will handle anything you dish out within reason. The SRH do have a beefed up frame.If huntsalotey has a New Model which he stated so it's not a Flat-top.The only Flat-tops I'm aware of were the Old Models.

Ruger Redhawk

Nomercy 02-29-2004 07:11 PM

I wasn't aware that they'd discontinued the smaller RH's, I just forgot about the "special" .44mag SRH...By the questions he was asking, I kind of assumed he was a beginner, so I figured I'd mention the difference in DA/SA's.

I do also agree that you shouldn't be able to wear out any of the Rugers (although MANY MANY cowboy action shooters break transfer bars so often that they have the hammers welded and take out the system all together)...I just wanted to point out that if one's going to wear out before the other, the RH's would likely go first because of the increased # and complexity of the moving parts, but it would take a LONG time and a lot of use to get to that point of wear.

As far as the flat top New models go-the first blackhawk I bought was a NM flat-top, I bought and sold it before I even knew what the significance of either feature meant, it might have been a custom deal made to look like the OMFT's, I can't count that out, but going back to the pictures, I swear it's a dead ringer-I don't have access to a scanner or I'd post pics here. Doing a little looking around lends me to now believe that it was likely a custom "knock off", but like I said, it was a GOOD job if it were.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-01-2004 03:09 PM

Nomercy. I'll be the first to admit it's hard keeping up with Ruger's.Over the years they've made many changes.Your NewModel "Flat-top might have been a Davidson's special I don't know.I don't remember what year they discontinued the 357 & 41 Mag Redhawks.I have a RH 357. I had and very stupidly sold a 41mag RH.I'm still kicking myself for that move.You have me curious what Ruger you really had.Davidson's does come out with allot of variations. How about a Vaquero in 45Colt with a 3 3/4" bbl.Only about 500 were made I was told.Yep! I got one of them.Neat looking little thing.

Ruger Redhawk