Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase. >

New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

Old 02-15-2002, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

FreshTrax, Smart friend you have there, telling you to stay clear of the Trashco!
Looks like you have just about made your choice on the gun. Really you can't go wrong on just about any of the new guns, or even a second hand one, if it is in good condition.
Truth is, most of those guns are as good or better than most of us here are!
But, while ANY scope CAN break, a cheap scope is a ruined hunt waiting to happen!
I'd rather a used Leupold, than a brand new Trashco!
I would at least get a Leupold Vari X-I. They are basically a gloss Vari X-II at a lower price! You will never regret money spent once on good glass!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:45 PM

FreshTrax,

I don't know what your budget is for your scope, but you may want to look at the Bushnell Banner 3x9 scope. Good quality for about $90.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:31 PM
XTP

I'm happy to see the Savage gettin' the praise it so rightfully deserves! I would agree that the bolt could be a little better,but the crisp trigger(easily adjusted to your preference) and tack-driving accuracy more than makes up for it.Besides,when I'm huntin',I never have to chamber a second round anyway,the first always goes where I aim it!!!Not to mention that I didn't have to sell my kids to buy it either.....by the way,.270,.30-06,.308 all great deer(and larger!)calibers,can't go wrong with any of them.Welcome to the deer woods!!
Old 02-16-2002, 12:06 AM

Greets,
Rem 700 in 30-06 is a good big game gun. As for scope, I am the exception to the rule. Get what you can afford, if that be a Luepold or other higher quality scope good! one less problem down the line. But if it aint, just do like me and save your pennies for the day when your cheapie scope breaks. ( mine is a simmons, I had great confidence till I read here a bit, seems simmons doesnt have any better rep than Tasco ). Till that day comes my scope is good enuff. *(unless I come into the $$ to replace it sooner *G* )

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry