Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what would you choose? >

what would you choose?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what would you choose?

Old 02-20-2004, 07:24 AM

Default RE: what would you choose?

The 41 Mag. is a fine cartridge, but you'll find a lot more factory ammo options and reloading supplies available for the 44 Mag.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, if it were me, I'd get both...but certainly get the handgun first.

For $1K, you can get a very fine revolver, heck, the BFR in .45-70 is only $999, you could get two Ruger Super Blackhawks/vaqueros/redhawks for that price, or a mildly-tricked out factory version 1911, or etc etc. The M-14/M-1A is going to be at least $1300new for a BASE model.

One thing about the M-14/M-1A, check out battlerifles.com...secondly, DCM/CMP clubs can get you better prices on them, and certainly help you pick a rifle, and that type of competition while "borrowing"/renting a rifle can let you get a feel for the rifle, and get a look at what else is out there...they cost a pretty penny, so you don't want to buy one then find out it's not the model you wanted, or that it's not your cup of tea in the first place...nothing worse than having a $1500 investment that you're not satisfied with!

I'd buy the handgun when I moved up there, probably suggest either a 1911 (if you like an auto) or a Ruger Superblackhawk in .44mag, blackhawk in .357mag, or (if you like a DA) Super Redhawk in .454cassul, all three give you the "lesser round" capability and the "more power" punch, helps you learn to shoot them very well, then keeps practice fun, with the ability to do the deed hunting wise.

THEN, I'd find the nearest DCM/CMP club, join it, and start saving towards the M-1A while you're getting the hang of shooting the "loaner" rifles, that way when you get yours, you don't teach it bad habits.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:02 AM

Given those choices I would absolutely go with the M-1. Unreal rifles, there is a reason they are so popular. But if you are going to buy a handgun for bowhunting I would suggest a Ruger .44 mag in a Redhawk or GP 100 offering. They are both sweet shooters.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly
I think the 41-mag is a fine round but the 44-mag is the better choice. The 44-mag is easy to find ammo for. I have not seen 41-mag ammo at my local gas station in years.
I feel bear spray is your best self defense choice for wild animals. Bear spray would also work well on punk gang members.
I do sometimes carry a pistol when I hunt, the added weight is a real drawback. That is why I have choosen the bear spray over the pistol many times. I actually worry more about cow moose with calves than I do bears.
The choice you are making is an important one! Buy what you think will work best for you when you need it most.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Wolfkiller is exactly right about pepper spray. It would be a great deterent on bear. Never used it but its getting good results so far. I'll stick to my 41mag. Yes the ammo is not on the self as much as us 41mag fans would like. But that caliber is made for reloaders. But this is not a 41mag debate.

I always carry a sidearm guiding, hunting for myself, or just walking around in the woods checking out nature. I had a woman once ask me what if I was attacked by a animal in the woods while without a sidearm. My plain reply was I'd be a fool for not being prepared in the first place.

Never go down for the lack of shooting back. That's my idea anyway.