HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   35whelen owners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/52739-35whelen-owners.html)

Quilly 02-12-2004 04:24 AM

35whelen owners

without rolling your own and what ever shoots best. what would you go with for whitetailed deer 200gr.PSP 250gr.PSP 225gr. TBBC

Deleted User 02-12-2004 06:57 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

akbound 02-12-2004 07:26 AM

RE: 35whelen owners

Hi Quilly,

I know that the short 200 grain bullet is not the most ballistically efficient bullet in .35 caliber.....but it was designed with animals like deer in mind. Assuming there is no significant accuracy issues...that is the bullet I'd most likely choose for deer sized game. If indeed I was limited to those three choices.

Good luck.

Dave

Superpig 02-12-2004 07:33 AM

If you have decent accuracy go with the 200 gr. If not choose the one that provides acceptable accuracy. The 200 gr. PSP is more than enough for the largest whitetail or mulie.

polack 02-12-2004 12:59 PM

My son has the 35 whelen in the rem. model7600. We had it too the range last weekend and shot some 200 grainers out of it , must say that they shot real well.
Polack

propmahn 02-12-2004 10:27 PM

I think i would use a 200gr bullet because the penetration of the heavier ones is not needed. for deer at least, for bear i would step it up a notch or two.
and honestly i cant believe you still dont reload, ive been hoping for years that you would just take the plunge. maybe you will find a wilcat chambered gun you just cant pass up and you will be forced to reload.

Quilly 02-13-2004 04:58 AM

propmahn..

i am leaving/moving to maine inmarch 2005. so i will have my own house and that is one of the first things i will get into. ( if i can find someone who will teach me the ropes).
i just want a good bullet out of the 3 that will effectivly downa the animal with proper " mushroom effect " using a big bullet that is faster than my buddies 35rem's. i know the TBBC's are a better bullet for bigger types of game.
when i get into reloading next year i will be able to reload some 225gr. BT"S or 225gr. round nosed , or maybe a 180gr.'s

i am putting a 1.75-6X32mmE on top som i can use her next season.

akbound 02-13-2004 05:15 AM

Hi again Quilly,

The 200 grain Core-Lokt will give you all the penetration and expansion you need for deer sized game.....from the .35 Whelen. (And is plenty effecient enough for taking shots to probably 300 yards or so.....as long as you and the rifle are up to the task.) Because it is a fairly short for caliber bullet the 200 grain is not as effecient as a good 225 grain for "slipping through the atmosphere". For reloaders one of the best bullets for that purpose is the 225 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Plus that bullet still offers good expansion on deer sized game.

The 225 grain Trophy Bonded and the 250 grain Core-Lokt are "more bullet" than is needed for any deer. (Yes, they will kill deer, but they are designed with tougher game in mind.)

Whichever you decide.....good luck!

Dave

P.S. If you don't find someone willing to show you the ropes.....I believe there are videos available that "take you through the basics". (But it really is more straight forward than it initially seems!)

mainehunt 02-13-2004 06:56 AM

Quilly,
If you don't mind my asking, which part of Maine are you coming to? I am 30 miles North of Augusta.

Mainehunt

Duffy 02-14-2004 01:48 AM

I have shot a couple bucks and one doe with my .35 whelen and 250 gr. Rem. factory ammo. ( I was looking more for moose or elk at the time) I had to shoot all of them more than once. I belive the 250 gr. are too stout to mushroom much on deer size game and were passing through without imparting much energy to the animal.

I have shot 200 gr. Rem factory at the range and they seem ok for accuracy but I have not put any through flesh and bone.

I read somewhere of a guy handloading 180 gr. cast lead bullets, at lower velocity, for his .35 whelen, for deer hunting.

Robin