Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Teflon vs stainless >

Teflon vs stainless

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Teflon vs stainless

Old 02-11-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Teflon vs stainless

Would Teflon coating a blued receiver/barrel provide similar all weather protection as stainless? What about the trigger assembly? Do stainless rifles have stainless trigger assemblies or just the receiver and barrel?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Teflon vs stainless

stainless rifles have the same trigger assembly as a blued. No different. At least on remingtons, winchesters, and brownings. I was going to tephlon coat my 700PSS after getting rebarreled. But had a few tell me the tephlon flaked off in an area or two. If its on the gun, it will protect like nobodies business. I went back with the parkerizing.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would Teflon coating a blued receiver/barrel provide similar all weather protection as stainless? What about the trigger assembly? Do stainless rifles have stainless trigger assemblies or just the receiver and barrel?
No it would not since the bore is still chromemoly and would not be as rust resistant. Stainless will rust if not taken care of also. One of the best all weather coatings for a rifle either chromemoly or Stainless is NP3 by Robar. If you were to purchase a Winchester or Ruger stainless model they are pretty much 100 % stainless with some very minor exceptions, floorplate(aluminum ruger) magazine well(blued on Ruger). The trigger assembly on a Remington stainless is electroplated silver. The trigger assembly on Weatherby stainless models is blued...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:11 PM
DM

If a magnet will draw to it, it will rust! If not, then the quality of the stainless is good enough that it will, for the most part be rust free. BUT, even stainless will show a bit of corosion in extreme conditions!

Drilling Man
Old 02-12-2004, 09:08 AM

I have a teflon coated SST barrel and action.
It doesn't come off unless you scrape it with another metal.
Like going through a fence and you scrape it hard on the metal it will scratch through the teflon a little. Otherwise it is very tough and have had no flaking in the 5 years I have had the rifle.