HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Weaver style mounts - opinions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/52629-weaver-style-mounts-opinions.html)

Back40 02-11-2004 05:12 AM

Weaver style mounts - opinions?

Considering the Warne Magnum rings with a HD base (8-40 screws) but have never used this base/riing design. Thanks for the feeback!

diyj98 02-12-2004 07:04 AM

RE: Weaver style mounts - opinions?

I haven't used the Warne's, but Weaver style bases are my favorite by far. I much prefer them to the Redfield style bases.

stubblejumper 02-12-2004 07:20 AM

I have not used the warnes and will not use the weavers.I prefer the leupold/redfield type mounts.

handloader1 02-12-2004 11:18 PM

I have used original Weaver Rings and Bases, and the rings streched out in about 100 rds. under the minimal recoil of a 30-06 Sprg. I don't know how Weaver type rings and bases preform, and I am not interested in finding out. Go with a Leupold Dual Dove Tail Mounting System. Good luck.

Vapodog 02-13-2004 03:17 AM

interesting thread.....and very diverse and contradictory opinions so far and I'm just going to add to the confusiion.

Best bases I've ever used was the tapered dovetails of the Sako, however, I've used Millet, Leupold, Burris, Weaver ...all with no trouble at all. Further even my .375 H&H don't have #8 threads and still keeps on shooting with it's weaver rings and bases.

I've bought some really poor stuff from Tasco for mounting systems and a few others and won't buy cheap stuff again.

For guns with less recoil than the .338 mag class I recommend the Leupolds across the board.... and no need for the #8 screws

For larger bores I'm looking to Talley's system of bases and rings and #8 screws.

loner 02-13-2004 03:50 AM

like vapodog,i use millet,leupold and weaver bases and rings and have never had any problems with weaver products.

Back40 02-13-2004 05:15 AM

Vapodog...the HS Precision gun I'm ordering is drilled for 8-40 screws.

James B 02-13-2004 06:17 AM

I have used most all of them. The Weaver held up to my 416 Rem Mag with no problems. I had at least a 1000 rounds through it. I have used and installed hundreds of sets of Weaver ring and bases. I have yet to see a problem one. I don't like the cheap weaver type rings from tasco and simmons. The screw heads twist out. I put those puppies on TIGHT.

Ruger-Redhawk 02-14-2004 05:16 PM

For the most part all I've ever used are Redfield bases and rings with a few exceptions.I tried Millet and they perform as well as the Redfields do.I've never tried Leupold's stuff.I'm sure they're right up there with the best.I posted about a problem I'm having with Weaver rings.I would stay way from the cheaper mounting accessories.Your scope can only be as good as the mounts will allow.
Ruger Redhawk

eldeguello 02-15-2004 01:21 PM

Weaver mounts - nicht for nice, but hellfor strong! With Warne rings, they aren't even ughly!!

There are a lot of substandard COPIES of Weaver mounts out there, and they range from acceptable to useless!! BUT real Weaver bases and rings are as durable as anyones'! This has been proven under all field conditions for over 50 years!!