Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need opinions... Im new to shotguns. >

Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

I am looking for an inexpensive 12ga. shotgun. I have found that the Maverick Arms Model 88 is inexpensive, and seems to be made by mossberg. Does anybody have and experiance with this gun? Or does anybody have anyother suggestions for which I should purchase.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

look for a winchester 1300
Old 02-07-2004, 10:51 PM

Another good gun would be a NEF, about $90.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

How cheap are you talking about?

The New England Firearms (NEF) single shot break-action shotgun is pretty decent. I used to have one in 20 gauge, in fact my it was the first gun that was truly mine. Never should have sold it, but I wanted a nicer shotgun when I got older. It was a good gun and I shot many pheasants with it before I traded it for a Winchester 1400 semi-auto shotgun. The two things that I didn't like about upland hunting with it was that it was a single shot (sucks when two rooster flush together), and that one had to remember to cock the hammer as they shoulder the gun.

If I were you I'd really consider saving your pennies for a little while longer and at least getting a decent pump shotgun. The Winchester Model 1300 was already mentioned, which is pretty decent. My brother had one for a long time and always seemed to like his. My suggestion for a pump gun would definately be the Browning BPS 12. I own the "Hunter" model with the walnut stocks and deep blued finish, but they also come in a variety of other finishes depending on what you want. I absolutely love my BPS. It's the finest pump shotgun I've owned or shot. The action is glass smooth right out of the box, it shoulders and swings great, and it also looks very nice for a pump gun too (no ejection port to break up the lines). It also patterns great with everything I've fed it. It's got a thumb tang safety which is ambidexterous and easy to reach. Combined with the bottom eject it's also the perfect gun for a south-paw, and for inside a duck blind (because the BPS won't bounce your empties off your buddies forehead).

The other pump I'd recommend would be the Remington 870 Express. I used to own one and it was a decent shotgun. I sold it only because I've always been a believer that an upland gun should have stocks made of walnut and the metal should shine. The matte finish on the Express' is pretty ugly, and I don't know what kind of wood the stocks were made of but it wasn't walnut.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 AM

The 870 exress and win.1300 are both good guns in the same price range.The dull finishes on the express are to make the gun a little more multi-purpose in addition to the fact that they help keep the cost down.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Winchester, Remmington and a Mossberg. All have treated me very well for many years. Of those, the Mossberg was the "cheapest". Others you may wish to check out are Franchi and Charles Daly. Franchi is under the Benelli umbrella and the Daly's are imported from somewhere overseas. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:59 PM

I have a maverick and I've never had a problem with it. check out European American Armory for some affordable double barrels and NEF for some affordable singles
Old 02-08-2004, 01:01 PM

also a friend of mine told me that NEF is bringing out a pump 12ga.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:13 PM

The Mossberg 500's are good guns I have two but have had some problems with them but other than that, They have been good. They cost about 250 some where around that. But the best pump shotgun would be The 870's the expresses and the Wingmasters is the one's I am firmilier with. They cost about $350. I would go with the Remington 870's.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:04 PM

Another vote for the Remington 870 Express. You can abuse them all you want and they'll keep going BOOM!

Quick Reply: Need opinions... Im new to shotguns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.