Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 opinions on thumbhole stocks for hunting >

opinions on thumbhole stocks for hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

opinions on thumbhole stocks for hunting

Old 02-07-2004, 01:56 PM

Default opinions on thumbhole stocks for hunting

I've been thinking about putting a thumbhole stock on my Remington 700 30.06. Usually when I hunt with this gun it's from a stand. I was wondering what you thought of the thumbhole's and hunting. They seem very comfortable to me but, I maybe missing something, because I never see them in the field.Thanks..........John
Old 02-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: opinions on thumbhole stocks for hunting

You haven't seen them just because they aren't very popular. I think sometime in the future they are going to be more common with the synthetic stocks.

My knight has a thumbhole stock and I just love it. It felt really comfortable in the shop, and like you I wondered about how I would like it hunting. Well, I can't say enough good things about it. I've been looking around for the last year to upgrade a few more of my stocks to the thumbhole too. Highly suggest if it feels good to you to go for it!
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The is absolutely nothing wrong with a thumbhole stock for hunting.........I have several of them.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be just fine for hunting as long as HR 2038 don't pass, if it does then they are illegal.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Strut, I thought that 2038 was supposed to be voted on last summer? And yep, it does have a section in it stating that thumbhole stocks will make any gun a "assualt" weapon. Makes sense, I routinely use my .54 ml on drive by's
Old 02-07-2004, 06:02 PM

Yup. Those evil thumbhole stocks. Y'know, I just KNEW it was the pistol grip on John Mohammed's gun that made it so lethal. Seriously, I put an ATI "Assault" style stock on my Marlin 7000. (22lr) I love the control it give me on the bench or in the field. Coupled with an inexpensive (BSA) red dot, it's a classic tactical squirrel rifle. Of course, to liberal friends, it's a hideous weapon. To my saner friends, it is what it is. One of the coolest plinkers they've ever seen.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jorgy, I think you are getting the frivilous lawsuit issue mixed up with the AWB, the lawsuit issue was voted down big time by the house and now has a majority of the senate but not enough to out do a filibuster by the libbies, The AWB is suppose to come up for debate I think in early March, I think it was Hastert that said it would die in the house, I hope he keeps his word.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Knight DISC muzzleloader has a composite thumbhole stock and I like the feel of the rifle a lot. It is very comfortable and natural.

I do remember reading somewhere that thumbhole stocks are not the type to have on a really hard kicking caliber. I don't know how true it is, but I believe the reason was that since your thumb can't slip or get out of the way of recoil so it concentrates the recoil on the first joint of the thumb, possibly dislocating the thumb (ouch![:@]). Might not be true, but I wouldn't want to be the one to prove it right!

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 08:29 AM

I looked at a Browning A- Bolt laminated with a thunbhole the other day and boy did it feel good. My next hunting rifle will be that one!! I felt more control with the gun.
Cheers!!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 AM

Well, from what I'm reading I guess I'm not alone in feeling more control with the thumbhole stock. I'll let you know if I dislocate my thumb when I shoot the .06. I don't really think it kicks that much though, but we'll see!
I'm going to put the gun together this month with the new Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 scope on it and see what it'll do. I shoot a tenpoint crossbow with a thumbhold stock and the thing is scarey. As well as shooting a Ruger 10/22 with a Fajen thumbhole stock that a friend built that is tack driving. And if the thumbhole works out well on the .06, I'll probably put one on my Remington 11/87 scoped shotgun. Thanks for all the replies so far!