Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first rifle

Old 02-02-2004, 07:12 PM

Default first rifle

Been looking for a good all around rifle. Something that will take coyote to elk in one cartridge.
I talked to a guy at the fur shop and a remington 710 package and a savage 11FC package are the same price.
Which of these would be more accurate? The fur buyer says they are the same. I have heard that the 710 isn't a great gun. If I do this I have to buy without shooting one. I'll probably go buy one somewhere that I can shoot before I buy.
I am also looking at a remington pump .270, anyone know anything about them. Functionality? Accuracy?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first rifle

The 710 is regarded on this site by most as being plain old junk. Id go for a savage rifle, they have an excellent reputation for accuracy. Coyotes to elk is a big niche to fill. If you dont care about the fur of the coyotes go for a 270wsm or a 30-06.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:57 PM

The 710 is not the gun to buy if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Mine's only a little over a year old and the blueing is coming off, the locking lever for the bolt keeps working up so the bolt comes out when I cycle the bolt, and despite my best efforts it's starting to rust. It's one good quality is that is very accurate. Mine shoots sub 1" groups with cheap Remington Corelokts and Federal Premiums. Haven't been around the savages so don't know about them.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 710 is trash! Savage wins, hands down!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Savage probably either .270 or .30-06
Old 02-03-2004, 07:11 AM

Savage fan here, also. Although I don't own one in this caliber, I'd recommend getting one in .308 Winchester! Good all around gun!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

My first Deer rifle was a savage 110 30-6. I got the gun when I was 12. The first time I went hunting with it i had a problem. I placed the gun in a boat. The gun slid down the boat. And the sights broke off. Come to find out that the sights were plastic. Who would put plastic sights on a hunting rifle. Both sights broke off.
I spent all weekend watching everyone else hunt. I will never own another savage again.
I would take a remington anyday over a savage. If I wanted to spend a little more I would get a browning. Check out the 7400 remington the price isn't that bad.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

I just looked at the Rem 710.. sorry but junk in my eyes. I wouldn't get it if it were $200. I went with a Winchester Model 70. IT was the same price. I got the 3006 cuz of the wide range of bullets you can use. It's a good all around caliber for what you may be looking for. I also looked at Savage and i would buy one of them as well. But it was the same price as my Win and the Winchester looked alot more refined to me.

you could look at 7mm-08 as well. That's my next caliber.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Of those two guns mentioned, I would get the Savage hands down. The Remington 710 is one of the worst rifels ever made.

The Winchester Model 70 that Semi got is a great littel gun as well. I would get the Windchester over the other two, and then the Savage over the 710.

As to calibers, eveyone has an opinion on them. I like both the 30-06 and 270 Winchester. Both calibers have a wide variety of choices of manufactured ammo.

Another thing to consider is buying a used rifle. Then you will not have to worry about breaking your gun in. I like my guns to have a little personality, a scratch on the stock, or a small scratch here or there. Minor blemishes do not bother me, but you do need to know what to look for too.

Good luck!
Matt

Quick Reply: first rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.