Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Vaquero >

Ruger Vaquero

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Vaquero

Old 01-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ruger Vaquero

People, I would like your opinions. I'm thinking of getting into the cowboy shooting game and was wondering if any of you have a Vaquero. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5 1/2" Blackhawk or the Vaquero in 44 mag for this game and to use as a side carry during walks in the woods. I definately am going with the 44 as I already have an 1894 rifle chambered for it and don't want to use 2 cals. This wouldn't be used for hunting as I own 2 S&W 29s.
If any of you own the Vaquero, please let me know how well it shoots with the hog trough fixed sights.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Vaquero

It's among the finest single actions I've ever owned.....you'll like it.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Bronko,

Some cowboy action clubs won't let you use the 44mag cartridge for their shoots. 44special, 45lc, 44-40 those are okay by their standards. I'd check with the club your going to shoot at before buying the pistol.
The vaquero is a really nice pistol. I own three in the 45lc and all shoot really well. Have fun, cowboy action shooting is really a good time.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, first and foremost check this out:

www.sassnet.com

Single Action Shooting Society-they ARE cowboy action shooting, they debatedly didn't start it, but they pretty much are the final word for non-historic CAS. Go on their site and look up THE SASS WIRE, it's a forum like this one, you'll find all kinds of great information there.

I too shoot .44mag Vaqueros, Stainless 5.5" standard grips...A Marlin 1894 .44mag and a Baikal (EAA) Bounty Hunter II 12ga 20" coachgun...pretty common set up, especially for beginners.

Now on your gun question...the Vaquero's are great revolvers, they're pretty much the stoutest 6shot revolver around...they're not the finest pieces of functional art I've ever seen in a sixgun, but they look great, shoot better, and function properly no matter what. The only thing that people complain about is the transfer bar system, with the amount of shooting CAS people do, they tend to break after a couple years of hard use, ruger will replace them for free, some people choose to forego this and weld the hammers to alleviate this.

I'll never buy another brand revolver (short of collectors pieces), they're awesome handling and straight shooters, I really like the looks of my stainless guns, and I'm totally nutz about the way my .32H&R case/blued/ivory "Vaquerito" looks.

Buy the Vaq, you won't be sorry. And don't forget the sass wire.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't go wrong buying a Vaquero.They are a strong gun and will hold up to many years of use.I'm not into Cowboy shooting so I don't know if there is any caliber restrictions.I have a rare Vaquero w/a 3 3/4"bbl in 45 Colt.Unfired and will stay that way.I believe the 3 3/4"bbl was a Davidson's special.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-31-2004, 04:53 PM

I have a blackhawk and a bisely vasquero in 357 and 45lc and they are awesome. Ive never owned and shot a pistol that felt so good as rugers single action revolvers do. They are awesome.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

the vaquero is a great revolver , fine finish , fine handling , and very reliable , i've never had a problem with mine which is a polished stainless with rosewood grips in .45 colt , as for calibers , if you get a .44 magnum you should be able to use .44 special amunition in it
Old 02-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I just wish they made the vaquero in a 41 mag. I would love to shoot that one.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys
Old 02-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cherokee
I read the rules and I'm sure the 44 mag is OK. These aren't full house 44 loads but a reduced load. Like shooting 44 spl out of 44 mag cases. I'm shooting 200 gr lead bullets out of my 1894 and they shoot great.
Clem

Quick Reply: Ruger Vaquero

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.