HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Sako 75 Hunter woodstock vs A-Bolt SS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/50842-sako-75-hunter-woodstock-vs-bolt-ss.html)

Back40 01-26-2004 06:39 PM

Sako 75 Hunter woodstock vs A-Bolt SS

I'm a southpaw and torn between an Abolt stainless stalker and Sako 75 Hunter(only maple available for us lefties). I want a quality all weather gun. Will the Sako's maple stock handle wet weather w/o warping? Is it glass bedded? I know the Abolt SS can handle the weather but know it can not compare to the Sako in quality. Thanks for your feedback!

Solitary Man 01-27-2004 01:24 PM

RE: Sako 75 Hunter woodstock vs A-Bolt SS

That's a tough one. I have experience with both rifles. I currently own two 75's (both with walnut stocks) and I have in the past owned 2 Browning A Bolts. As far as the barrelled action is concerned I prefer the Sako hands down. However, I'm not sure I'd want to sit out in a soaking rain with a walnut stocked rifle.

You could, of course, restock the Sako, but by doing so you'd add another $300 or more to the already substantial price. A McMillan stock would really be nice though.

Another option is a gun cover. There's a product call a Gun Coat or something like that that covers the gun and is intended for use in inclimate weather. I've got one, but so far I've never used it. I wish I could remember the correct name for it. I'll look it up and post it.

Back40 01-27-2004 02:16 PM

Thanks Solitary.

Solitary Man 01-27-2004 02:46 PM

You're welcome and BTW, the Sako does not come bedded. However, the inletting on the 75's I've seen is very good, so bedding may not be necessary. I bedded both of my 75's myself because I just can't leave well enough alone and I like to tinker.

skeeter 7MM 01-27-2004 10:43 PM

Both are good rifles, since you said you want an ALL WEATHER gun I'd say stick with the Synthetic Stock - Abolt in this case. I have one and it has been an excellent rifle. Only thing I did was take the trigger down to 3 lbs, other than that it shoots excellent and has stood up very well. If you really like the Sako, I have a number of walnut stocked rifles and while I prefer the synthetic they haven't caused me any concerns. However the only rain I usually see is Elk season in sept and maybe the odd shower in oct or november. I do see lots of snow and below freezing temperatures though, I just wipe them down with lightly oiled rag and keep a preservative on the wood. Of course the other choice with a sako is replace the stock, buy a rh action or get a custom built on a sako action.

Really depends on how much moisture you get during an average season to really see if it that big of a concern & your pocket book;)

handloader1 01-27-2004 11:08 PM

I would go with the Sako. Good luck.

SAKO.308 01-28-2004 06:55 AM

Here is what you do. Buy the sako with the stainless in the wood stock. I think they make that for lefties.
If not buy the sako and coat and put a mcmillan on it after you save up for it.
If you truly want 1 rifle, I think this is it.

Rbou 01-28-2004 08:08 AM

could go with a weatherby mkv ultra lt.weight great gun :D

Solitary Man 01-28-2004 08:42 AM

The product I was thinking about is called a Gunbrella. Here's a link to it at eders:

http://www.eders.com/catalog/showdet...59&CATID=14899

As I mentioned, I've got one, but so far I haven't hunted in weather so bad that I needed to use it.