HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning "BOSS"...good, bad or indifferent? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/50507-browning-boss-good-bad-indifferent.html)

Back40 01-23-2004 11:48 AM

Browning "BOSS"...good, bad or indifferent?

I finally found a left hand Browning SS in 270 but it has the BOSS. Looking for opinions from BOSS owners. Thanks!

bigbuck270 01-23-2004 12:06 PM

RE: Browning "BOSS"...good, bad or indifferent?

I have a .270 left A bolt. It will shoot sub MOA with factory winchester ammo. Browning's web site has a list of where to start with the calibration of the BOSS. I would start there. It shoot very good at that setting. One caution though. Do not allow the BOSS to loosen up. A loose BOSS will change the POI a ton. I ran some high energy ammo through the gun and the boss loosened up(I dont know why). The next time I shot I did not realize the BOSS was loose and my POI was a foot high and 8" right. Keep an eye on the BOSS and you will love it.

Danny45 01-23-2004 02:38 PM

The BOSS has good points, and bad points.

The worst point is the noise!! Wear double protection at the range, and I'd even wear plugs when hunting with it. Or, get the CR BOSS. It's the same thing without the recoil reducing holes, thus, less muzzle blast.

Other bad points:

1. Works loose if not kept an eye on.

2. Takes awhile to fine tune. (follow factory instructions or you'll go crazy).

3. Barrel is actually shorter due to it. 22" advertised barrel length will actually only be about 20". No rifling in the BOSS so that's dead space on the end of the barrel.

4. Have to retune it when changing loads, or even different lots of the same load.

Good points:

1. Lets you find the sweet spot for any ammo. No searching for the ammo your rifle likes the best. Pick a load you personally like, and tune it to it.

2. Allows you to get the best groups you can, no matter what bullet weight you use. In other words, if you were getting a 30.06, you could shoot 150 grain for deer, 180 grain for elk/moose, and 200-220 grain for dangerous bears, without worrying about accuracy.

3. With proper ear protection, makes bench shooting a blast! Reduces recoil a bunch. CR BOSS (cr=conventional recoil) means less noise, more recoil.

Having said all that, I've had a Browning SS .270 without a BOSS and it shot .75" groups with no problems once I found the ammo it liked. It actually liked Federal Premium, and Remington Core-Lokt ammo. It hated Winchester ammo. That stuff would cause my groups to open up to 3" at 100 yards.

Good luck with your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Vapodog 01-23-2004 03:00 PM

it's a better marketing device than a product of value in my eyes.....I understand that it does work, but I've been successful attaining accuracy without one on many rifles....

Years ago when things like that was installed on shotguns they was called dial-a-duck.....today they should be called dial-a-deer

If you like the looks of it on a rifle have at it...if not pass on it.

I truly don't think it adds value to the gun.

153 01-23-2004 07:16 PM

I have had four Brownings in my day.First two were BAR's one 3006 the other 270.Both shoot between 1.5 and 2 inch groups at 100 yards.Third one was BAR 3006 with Boss,a lot less recoil and have shoot three different types of ammo at .75 inch or less at 100 yards.Fourth is an A-bolt so far only three types of ammo tried(Hornady,Hornday Light Mag and Winchester) and it will group all three less than .45 inch at 100 yards.I do use the CR when hunting and the MB on the bench.Only upgrade on all of these rifle was a tigger job,other than that they are stock.I think the Boss is well worth the money if you want tight groups.

digdug 01-23-2004 07:59 PM

I bought a Browning A Bolt II with the BOSS in 30-06 when they first came out, some ten years ago. I like it. I have shot some 5 shot groups as small as 1/2" at 100 yards. As some of the others that have responded to your message have said, it has it's good points and bad points.

About the only things I would add:

I've never had a problem with the BOSS coming loose, but I make sure that it is tight before going to the field.

Never, use the hood, any other part of a vehicle or anything else that you don't won't scorched (at best) as a rest (if the BOSS is over the vehicle or item). Not from my own personal experice but I've seen the results of such actions

If you hand load you can over come the shorter barrel by using faster powders. I get 2880 fps with a 165 gr bullet from my 30-06

I don't think you could go wrong with a Browning rifle with the BOSS.

Good luck.
Let us know what you decide.

stubblejumper 01-23-2004 09:36 PM

If you hand load you can over come the shorter barrel by using faster powders
Reguardless of the velocity that you obtain with the short barrel you could get more velocity with the same barrel 2" longer.

Bigbuckslayer3 01-23-2004 10:50 PM

I like mine but it is LOUD[:o]

spd522 01-24-2004 04:50 PM

Worth the $$$. No matter how expensive of a barrel you have, there will be some ammo it likes and some it doesn't . The BOSS makes it equal and lets you pick the ammo for the task instead of the barrel picking it for you.

They make a non-brake version too so noise isn't increased.

Tuning can get expensive ammo wise. Once you have a setting and ammo, be sure to write down the settings. And if you don't reload, buy a quantity of the same lot number of ammo you have tuned for so you have it already on hand.

I handload and use the same 2 loads all the time so it is an easy readjustment.

stubblejumper 01-24-2004 05:43 PM

No matter how expensive of a barrel you have, there will be some ammo it likes and some it doesn't
This is also true for boss equipped rifles.I tested several loads with my boss equipped rifle and some produced much better accuracy than others.The boss will help optimize the gun for each load but it does not make all loads equal.