Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun for short female >

shotgun for short female

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun for short female

Old 01-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Default shotgun for short female

Hello all!! I recently attended a "Women on Target" shooting Clinic, where we learned, among other things, how to shoot clay targets and skeet with shotguns. I am hooked. I may eventually want to hunt upland game, but for the forseeable future, I'm sticking with clay and skeet.

I am a 4'8" female, and I am 30 years old, so I won't grow out of any "youth" shotgun. I've looked at a number of pump-action youth models, but have learned (since posting various forms of this query around the web) that an auto-loader or break-action would be best. I'm left-handed, so that may limit my choice of autoloaders.

My questions: for a female of my height (or rather lack thereof ), what is a good:
--Size barrel?
--Size gauge (20 or 12--12 seems to be the most popular--can shoot lighter loads for less recoil)
--Auto-loader or break-action (I'd like a break-action (o/u)--is that good for clay/skeet)?
--Company to look at (I've read: Beretta (like 390 or 391); Browning, Remington)

I know this does not pertain to hunting per se, but anyone (particularly females) who shoot skeet/clay--help me out!!

Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 08:41 PM

Default RE: shotgun for short female

Lil Shooter,
I would recommend using a 20 gauge considering your intended uses. They come in a lighter, slimmer package so it will be easier for you to handle. If you want to take a look at O/U's, take a look at a Browning Citori in a 26 inch barrel or even a 28 inch. Now this isnt a youth gun, but it is light, but the stock may have to be shortened for your length of pull. A perfect semi-auto (although you are left handed) would be the youth beretta a391. Its a compact 20 gauge and I believe it has a 24 inch barrel. The semi-auto system will help even more to absorb recoil. A final pump option would be the new youth benelli nova. Its a great lil pump for around $325. Their are actually a bunch of options out their for ya. Good luck finding one, hope that helps.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2004, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brownig used to make a micro medalian citori in 20 Ga with 24" barrels....it was a real sweet gun for the "vertically challenged" shooter. I bought one for a lady friend of mine.....she loved it and still hunts with it.....there's nothing wrong with a 2 3/4" 20 Ga.....birds drop just fine with them.

You might also want to look at the Franchi Veloce in 20 or 28 ga....the stock may want to be shortened but the gun is superb.....
Old 01-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Winchester makes a nice youth pump action shot gun. It's a 20 ga, what I liked about it was the fact they positioned the pump back where a shorter persons hands would be. It also has a shorter throw making it easier to cycle the action. My wife likes hers. It also has screw in chokes
Old 01-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I recommend taking a look at Franchi. They have two youth models of semi-auto's. The "AL 48" and "620". The AL 48 is long recoil operated and very light and slim. The 620 is gas operated which might kick a little less. It is only slightly heavier and wider than the AL 48. I would also suggest a 20 gauge with a 26" barrel length. They cost around $450.00-$550.00.
My daughters daycare owner was looking for a new shotgun last year. Like yourself she is under 5' tall. I told her to check out the Franchi's. She ended up buying the 620 youth with 26" barrel and she just loves it. He husbands family owns a pheasant fram here in Michigan. So, she uses it for that as well as shooting clays. The Franchi's are one of the best buys out there. I own one of each in 12 gauge and have not had any problems. The have been as reliabile as my Browning's "Auto-5" and "Gold 3 1/2".
Old 01-24-2004, 02:17 PM

Depends on how much money you want to spend.Remington 16 Gauge That would be a good gun. I don't know about over and unders they are way to expensive for me.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 20 Ga youth model 870 pump. I am 6 ft male and tried a friends childs shotgun last year and really liked it am going to get them for my grandsons when they get ready for one, my granddaughter too.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:27 PM

870's are the best pump shotgun ever made!!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 ga, and shop around to see what fits. If you spend enough time at the range, try approaching some of the others and explain your situation and ask if you can put a few through the gun, most would be happy to assist and offer advice as well. An autoloader would probably be your best bet, but like I said shop around. You can also buy guns over the internet so if you find something you like and it's not available local you can still get it.

Quick Reply: shotgun for short female

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.