HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Buying guns on the internet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/50361-buying-guns-internet.html)

Back40 01-22-2004 07:44 AM

Buying guns on the internet

I've been surfing a few dealer and auction sites and was wondering how this works. Do I order through a local FFL in my area?

frizzellr 01-22-2004 07:48 AM

RE: Buying guns on the internet

Yes, a local FFL will have to handle the transfer. They usually charge a small fee for doing so. In all honesty between shipping costs and transfer fees I find it cheaper to buy locally.

Back40 01-22-2004 08:06 AM

I tried locally but lefty bolt actions are difficult to find.

frizzellr 01-22-2004 08:15 AM

Around here the gunshops will order guns for me and it still costs less than trying to get them through the internet. The other plus is you actually have a point of contact that is reachable if something goes wrong.

Aught Six 01-22-2004 09:08 AM

I've almost never found better deals locally than online, even with shipping and FFL transfer fees.

I've found best deals on Auctions Arms and Impact Guns.

frizzellr 01-22-2004 09:20 AM

Guess it depends on the area.

Aught Six 01-22-2004 09:35 AM

Retail space in my area doesn't come cheap, so the overhead of my local shop has to be pretty high.

bearhuntr 01-22-2004 12:14 PM

I've bought a few firearms and sold a firearm or two online, and I went through a local FFL holder in town. I've always managed to save a few dollars on the rifles I bought, but those were supergrades and a custom or two.

A5Mag12 01-22-2004 04:02 PM

I have bought around 30 guns off the internet. All were cheaper than if bought locally, no sales tax. Go to www.gunsamerica.com and to a ffl transfer agent search for your area. Contact one or more and talk to them to find the one you like the best. My guy charges me $15.00 and all I have to do is e-mail him the info on gun I bought and he puts ffl in mail and I send the money. Gun goes to him, I go pick it up.

Ruger-Redhawk 01-22-2004 05:47 PM

I've bought several off gunsamerica and always got a good deal doing so. I have a local dealer who charges 20.00 including the call in fee.Shipping is usually cheaper then the sales tax.My best advise is know your prices then figure which is the best way to go. If your looking for a rare gun chances are you'll find it on line easier then at a local gun shop.I've never dealt with an auction. There again know your prices and bid accordingly.
Ruger Redhawk