Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Favorite brand of ammo >

Favorite brand of ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Favorite brand of ammo

Old 01-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Favorite brand of ammo

Just wondering what are others' favorite brand of ammo, specifically for a 30-06 and 270. I noticed from other posts that quite a number of people aren't too fond of Remington's Core-Lokts, so I was curious as to what others prefer and for what reasons? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Favorite brand of ammo

Remington's Core-Lokts are the only factory ammo that will shoot MOA groups from my 30-06. I reload now, so don't buy factory ammo, but there is sure a great variety especially for the 30-06 and 270. I pick ammo by getting the right bullet for what I am hunting in several diffrent brands, and seeing which shoots better in my gun. If I had to get factory ammo, I'd go with the loadings with premium bullets, Winchester Supreme, Federal, Remington has one that I can't remember the name of off hand. If all you are doing is getting some practice, then you don't really need the premium bullet, and regular Remington or Winchester would be fine, and cheaper.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Federal, Hornady and Winchester have all been the best off the shelf, some perform with different bullets better than the other I just let my gun tell me which brand to use with the bullet style I want, need and require for the game I am hunting.

Let your rifle and the situation(game, terrain, etc) dictate what to put in the pipe, it is always the best way. I also think practicing with the bullet you intent to use is a must, it just breeds confidence. Of course if your just shooting for the heck of it, sure buy cheaper stuff but when it comes to preparing for a hunt spend the extra money to practice with what you are going to be using come open bell...just my 2 cents worth[:-]
Old 01-16-2004, 11:36 PM

out of all hand loding over the years I wall ways go back to remington core lokts chip and thay shoot grat in every gun I got
Old 01-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Handloads is all I shoot normally ,but I did buy some Remington core-lokt ammo and it grouped very well . I was able to buy loaded ammo as cheap as I could buy empty cases . I do all my shooting with what I hunt with because factory ammo isn't close to what I shoot .
Old 01-17-2004, 04:53 AM

`i use winchester ballistic silvertips on everything. it has never failed. i have not had any animal run far after being shot. i even use on hogs.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:02 AM

Winchester ammo all around. not only for 30.06, but shotguns, slugs & shotshells and faily inexpensive in comparison to other brands
Old 01-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I liked the Hornady Customs in my 7MM RM. This past year I went back to the Core-Locts. My gun liked them better than the premium brands! I did not like their preformance on game though.
I will probably try the Win. Supremes this year or go back to the Hornady.
You just have to find one that works well for your gun. My 7MM just happens to like the cheaper stuff, while my .308 has a little more expensive taste!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:45 AM

I also reload now. I started last year reloading. However, with the Remington Core Lokts in my 30-06 caliber gun I use the core lokts. I have never reloaded for it. I reload all my other calibers but with the 30-06 that I have had for about 4 years before I started reloading it shot straight as can be. It is a bonafide tack driver consistently with no flyers so I decided to continue using core lokts with it. Especially since I only verify its zero once a year and use for hunting season only. The other calibers I shoot throughout the year working up loads. I see no since in reloading for a rifle that shoots better than I could ever reload for anyway and that is possible.
Just to let you know, I have shot Winchester ammo, PMC ammo, and Federal regular hi shock soft points and premium gameking boat tails in the 30-06 and none of them shot as accurate as the Rem. core lokts. Good luck with your shooting.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Host of Hosts

I have 2 rifles that shoot Core Lokt's better than any other I've tried off the shelf, they just happen to be a 270 and a 30-06. I tried premium ammo in both and went back to the Remingtons.

Quick Reply: Favorite brand of ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.