Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed? >

Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed?

Old 01-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed?

I got a Win 1300 12 ga that shoots about 15" high @ 35 yards. Can that be fixed?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed?

Need more info.... Which load are you shooting? What choke are you using?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Shoots high with IC or modified. 2 3/4 Fed gold metal hull with heavy shot. My Beretta and IC choke with the same load shoots dead on.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

losthwy, how are you patterning your guns, off a bench like a rifle or are you just mounting and shooting? Either way it can be fixed, you may want to look at an add on rib, or have the gun fitted to you. A gun that shoots high can generally be cured by making a change in the stock dimensions, by increasing the drop (pretty difficult to do unless you shim the stock), or by changing the pitch of the stock (the angle of the recoil pad). If you are a stocky built individual you may want to start with adding a shim in front of the recoil pad that is thicker at the top than the bottom to accomplish the necessary pitch change. There are a lot of variable's here and it would be a good idea to see a stock fitter and get their take on it. One other question, it would be my guess that with the Winchester mounted you see alot more of the top of the rib than on the Beretta (like if you are looking down a flat road standing up, versus squatting down), is that true? If so then it may well be the gun fit, if not you need to try and make sure your chokes are concentric (this can be corrected but you'd have to have Briley or someone make some custom chokes to fix it), or you can look for the add on ribs (such as the "Adjust-A-Rib System" @ www.ncp.com) and that should take care of your problem.

Gordon
Old 01-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm slowly aiming the shotgun like a rifle looking down the rib with the bead on a spot drawn on patterning paper.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 PM

take your gun and yourself to a professional; he/she would be able to tell you first off if it is you or the gun that is making the shots high, once you determine the problem you can then fix it.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Are you seeing a lot of the top of the rib on the Winchester? or are you looking flat down the rib and seeing mostly the bead? Before I started to take any wood off the stock I'd do the following, loosen the stock bolt and pull the stock away from the reciever. When you get it loosened (you don't have to take it all the way off), take some plastic playing cards and insert them into the gap at the top of the stock (in between the stock and reciever) trace a line around the back of the reciever onto the playing card. Cut the cards so that they match the back of the reciever, and then put them in and tighten the stock down, this will shim the stock and increase the drop (the same as taking wood off the comb but this one is easily reversible). This should get you in the ballpark, if you want to learn a little more about shotgun fitting the following two articles will get you started in the right direction Gun Fitting and Recoil pads. The changing of the stock pitch (shimming the recoil pad to change it's angle), is more important when shooting from a low gun (wingshooting, or FITASC), and in those situations putting a shim in that is thicker at the top than bottom will help keep your barrel down when you mount the gun. But for what you're describing (sighted fire with the bead as your sight) you need to lower the comb or put and adjustable rib on, unless you drop so low where you can't see the bead, then you'll need to get a few offset chokes (or you could have the barrel bent but I shy away from that).

Gordon
Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

What is a offset choke?

Quick Reply: Shotgun shoots high can that be fixed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.