Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 tightning up a barrel >

tightning up a barrel

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

tightning up a barrel

Old 01-13-2004, 04:32 AM

Default tightning up a barrel

i hear people telling me that after i take the barrel and trigger assembly out of my rifle stock. after cleaning it i have to torgue the bolts..
how much do i torgue them? snug or do you mean by using a torgue wrench?
i did get one of those brownell's gunsmithing kit's that looks like a nut drive with all the magnetic bits.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 AM

Default RE: tightning up a barrel

Since nobody else responded I will.
My advice would be to call the manufacturer and ask them for the torque spec on your rifle.

I have never torqued the action screws on any of my rifles. I just tighten them to where they are very tight without really putting the muscle to it.
I check them everytime before I shoot.
If they ever move you will need to recheck your zero.

Tighten the front screw first and then the back one. Unless you have one of those 3 screw actions and then you are on your own trying to figure out how to get that right, they are very touchy as to action screw torque.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tightning up a barrel

I've built a goodly number of rifles and if there are torque specs I've never heard of them.....and they aren't discussed by smiths that I know.

If the action is properly bedded then the torque on the screws can't be terribly critical because the action will reseat in the cavity that's provided for it.

RE: the middle screw, it's to be no more snug than what it takes to hold the foreward part of the trigger guard in place. Do not tighten this screw. In some guns it's a wood screw and don't engage the action