HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Question on older Winchester Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/4899-question-older-winchester-rifle.html)

SingleShot 02-08-2002 08:14 PM

Question on older Winchester Rifle

I just traded for a (1974) 30-06 Winchester Bolt Action Rifle Model 70, The Gentleman in his 70' bought this rifle new in 1974 with the intent of going out of state Deer Hunting,but never went.The Rifle is like brand new ,it's never been shot,he even give me all the papers that came with the rifle.
My Question's , I have been told from 1965 till 1980 they had problems with Quality control from the factory ,I know after the 1964 year they changed their bolt design and a lot of people didn't like this ,I would like to take this rifle out of state deer hunting but if their were a lot of problem's with this rifle, I'll trade it off before I shoot it, I know there a lot of people out there that has these guns, and I like to know the Pro and con's of the design and how they shoot.

Thanks SingleShot

halcon 02-09-2002 01:34 AM

RE: Question on older Winchester Rifle

The quality suffered in my opinion but the Winchester rifles still worked after 1964 .They just made a cheaper rifle than what people were used to .They were trying to compete with the cheaply made competitions weapons with stamped parts .

JagMagMan 02-09-2002 04:17 AM

I think the biggest knock against the post-64's was that they switched to a push-feed bolt, instead of the Mauser designed claw extractor! If indeed this was the only change they made, then they got a bad rap!
The Remington 700 never had a claw extractor, and no one ever grumbled about them!
I have two of the newer M70's and they are as good or better than other guns in their class and price range! Good luck on the hunting!

Colo Wolf 02-09-2002 10:03 AM

I have had several post-64 WIns and th eonly problem I have found is a little sticking on a bolt. Run the bolt from the uncocked position and cycle it several times. Do it fast, if it slides well, doesn't stick, you have a good rifle.

Frank is right about the big bowup from consumers had to do with gong to the pushfeed instead of controlled feed action. Controlled feed only means you can have the rifle upside down and still load without the round falling out. I have also found that controlled feed gives a slightly smoother cycling, butnot enough to make a stink about. Don't know about you, but I seldom hunt standing on my head.

SingleShot 02-09-2002 08:23 PM

halcom,Frank and Colo Wolf.
Thanks for the info.Looks like I'll have to get me a scope on this rifle and give it a try,
Colo Wolf ,Feels like I have a good Rifle. also I have a hard enouth time shooting standing up, let alone on my head.