HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   How about a 45colt lever action rifle for deer hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/48131-how-about-45colt-lever-action-rifle-deer-hunting.html)

Forestore 01-03-2004 09:35 AM

How about a 45colt lever action rifle for deer hunting?

I am a lever lover and I was thinking about doing something diffrent next year. I usually use a scoped 35 in the stand and a 30-30 in the brush, but I was thinking of going too a Marlins Cowboy 45 colt rifle next year. Anyone know anything about these or have used one? Any pro's or con's would be greatly appreciated.

akbound 01-03-2004 09:40 AM

RE: How about a 45colt lever action rifle for deer hunting?

I have no personal experience with the .45 Colt, from a rifle or carbine. But I have experience from the .45 Colt from a handgun. It works fine on deer within its range limitations. So I could only imagine that it would be at least as effective from a rifle.

I also have handled, shot, and hunted with many Marlin lever actions over the years.....and without exception....they have been fine hunting companions. If you like the rifle, get it and use it. With the .45 Colt not all factory loads make the best choice for deer hunting. So insure you pick a load that offers suitable performance for the task at hand!

Best of luck with your decision.

Vapodog 01-03-2004 03:26 PM

Do yourself a favor and find a .44 magnum lever.....it's a better gun than the .45 Colt because it has loading data and you'll never have to wonder if some poor guy got some of your ammo for his Colt SAA clone.

The .45 Colt as standard factory loading is a poor choice for deer.......the .44 Magnum is a fine choice. Handloaded the .45 Colt is equal to the .44 Mag.....but your ammo is an accident waiting to happen.....

C. Davis 01-03-2004 05:22 PM

[/quote]

I usually use a scoped 35 in the stand and a 30-30 in the brush
Forestore,
Are you talking about a .35 rem. lever action?
If so, wouldn't the .35 rem. be better in the brush, and a scoped 30-30 in the stand?

C. Davis

handloader1 01-03-2004 11:34 PM

I would go with a .450 Marlin . Good luck.

A5Mag12 01-03-2004 11:47 PM

If you want one get it. But I would hunt with the ones you already have. No need to move down in effectiveness.

C. Davis 01-04-2004 09:16 AM

Forestore,
I don't know if you have any hogs in your neck of the woods, but if it were me, this is what I would do.

Marlin .35 rem.
Great hog gun. Good close range power, and the heavier larger bullets will penetrate well on a hog, and leave a bigger hole on the other side to bleed out of.

Marlin 30-30
Terrific for deer, and it shoots flatter than the .35 rem bullet.

For cowboy shooting, I like your idea of the .45 colt. If you want to carry it deer hunting, I would choose the .44 mag, but why deer hunt with it when you have the two other guns. I think the .45 colt would be a whole lot more fun than the .44 mag, especially if you had the pistol to match.

Dad-gummit, I think I want one now.

C. Davis

akbound 01-04-2004 09:53 AM

Hi again Forestore,

As some of the other posts have pointed out....the .45 Colt isn't as an effective deer cartridge as the two you already have. But don't let that deter you if you want to try it. Just insure you know the cartridge's limitations....and your limitations....and apply it within those parameters.

I understand your desire....just as a bowhunter chooses to challenge themself....or a muzzleloader chooses to challenge themself. Go with it, if you'd like, and know that as long as you do it responsibly.....there is not a reason in the world....not to!

Good luck!

Nomercy 01-04-2004 10:46 AM

The .45 colt doesn't often get the respect it deserves...in a rifle, especially the marlin, you can bump up some handloads to be pretty stout-only thing to worry about is the case strength-the marlin is hell-for-stout...I wouldn't use one past about 75yrds though, with pistol cartridge carbines, pretty much as long as your accuracy is good, your power is too (not pistol cartridges, revolver cartridges-a 9mm is accurate at 150yrds, but won't be good for deer past 35).

The .44mag is for sure a better killer, but the Marlin Cowboy isn't offered in it (ok, so it is, but the asthetics are not the same)...The .44mag is my cartridge of choice-I've got a couple 1894's and several revolvers that are awesome deer hunters-The mag bumps you out to about 100-125yrds with stout loads-as long as accuracy is good.

For brush, I'm a huge fan of a .45-70, get the Marlin Guide gun and you've got one heck of a marlin Brush buster...I've got one of the 1895 stainless guides and a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, the Guide gun is my brush rifle-even though it's accurate to 250yrds, and the Cowboy is my long range shooter.

And there in lies the rub, which do I use for brush-the .44mag or the .45-70 guide gun, they're almost the same size-one's stouter, one's lighter and lighter kicking, glad I've got TWO DEER TAGS!!!!;)

aunsaber 01-04-2004 01:34 PM

I have a Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt and in this area of Kansas it makes a very good Deer rifle.
I hand load using Marlin data as listed in the reloading manuals. I prefer hard cast bullets with gas checks. LBT's work best for me.
Buffalo Bore,Garrett and Cor-bon make good loads although a bit pricey.
The new 45 case is fine, have never split one.
Rifle or carbine really brings out the best in this cartridge.