HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning A Bolt owners...feedback wanted (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/48006-browning-bolt-owners-feedback-wanted.html)

Back40 01-02-2004 05:48 AM

Browning A Bolt owners...feedback wanted

Looking for any negative feedback on A Bolts. Considering purchasing an left hand A bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 for deerhunting. Decided on the A bolt over the Tikka because Tikka didn't offer a synthetic in left hand. I have searched this forum for feedback on the A bolts and have seen the complexity of the bolt mentioned. Has anyone actually had any negative experiences due to the bolt design? Thanks for the feedback. Back40

mtair 01-02-2004 06:05 AM

RE: Browning A Bolt owners...feedback wanted

i have an a bolt right hand action in .243 no problems thus far.

theoutdoorwizard 01-02-2004 06:56 AM

I have a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in a .270 and a Stainless Steel Stacker in a .243. I love them both, but I tend to use the SS Stacker more due to the lighter weight. Love the bolt too.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

338 01-02-2004 07:01 AM

I have 3 with no problems ..Bill

ISHOOTSHARPSTIX 01-02-2004 07:24 AM

Have 30-06 and a 25-06 A-Bolts, both with BOSS. Excellent weapon, no problems whatsoever. You cannot go wrong and will be thrilled with the performance.

James B 01-02-2004 07:48 AM

Same here on all counts.

bigcountry 01-02-2004 07:59 AM

A-Bolts are excellent. Only gun I have ever bought and didn't have to take to a gunsmith.

Things I wish they would change. But it won't hinder my purchase.
1. Different safety would be nice
2. Bet they would sell more if they would move thier operations to US. I know I wouldn't have waited so long.
3. A smoother shaped action other than that octigonal look would be nice.

Postives
1. Most accurate gun out of the box I ever got.
2. Trigger set perfect right out of the box.
3. Decent piece of lumber on it.
4. Barrel freefloated and fitted very nice right out of the box.

stubblejumper 01-02-2004 08:51 AM

I owned one in 7mmremmag but sold it.I hated the detatchable mag system where the floorplate has to be dropped and the magazine snapped on an off the floorplate to load and unload the gun.I also din't like the tang safety.The main reason though that I sold it was because of the boss system that took more rounds fired to adjust than it takes me to develop a handload.It also came loose resulting in a change of point of impact.

GordonGekko 01-02-2004 10:39 AM

Well if you're looking for problems I can't help you. Mine has been great so far. I don't own one with the BOSS and don't imagine I ever will, so I can't speak for that. As for the floorplate and mag I just load mine through the top (like you would on a gun with no floorplate) and at the end of the hunt, I drop the floor plate cycle the bolt and push all of the bullets out of the mag by hand, never taking the mag out. I still like the floorplate on my model 700 better, but this one is o.k.

Gordon

skeeter 7MM 01-02-2004 11:52 AM

I have owned 2 and currently own the same one your looking to buy(lh and all) both have been great and shot very well. They both are goo rifles, the finished (lh) product from browning is much nicer IMO than Tikka.

Danny45 01-02-2004 02:43 PM

A-bolts are great guns. Never had a problem with them, very accurate out of the box, decent trigger, and I love the tang safety and the magazine arrangment.

I've had two and had to sell them due to family problems otherwise I'd have kept one of them. .270 was awesome, 300 win mag kicked too much for my liking since I shoot a lot at the bench.

popeye 01-02-2004 03:26 PM

I only own one A-bolt, without BOSS. It quickly turned into my favorite rifle. No problems with the bolt itself or anything else. My next bolt action purchase will be Browning again. I've never been sold on the BOSS plus IMO the darn thing is ugly.

MOTurkeyTamer 01-02-2004 04:29 PM

I have a Stainless Stalker in .270 Win. that I use for deer hunting. I've had it for about 10 years now and never had a problem with it. Very accurate, good looking gun IMO. It doesn't have the BOSS system on it. I can't think of anything I don't like about it!:)

DANTHEHUNTER 01-03-2004 03:25 AM

i have a a bolt in .270 wsm and find it to be accurate and fun to shoot no problems at all

Quilly 01-03-2004 05:56 AM

i have a a-bolt medallion in 30-06sprg. love mine. get 1.080" at 100yds. using federal seirra gameking's.only ammo i have tried in it.so it might even get better groups.

brother hal 01-03-2004 10:04 AM

I have a cousin who comes here to the farm each year to hunt deer, then we go to NM to hunt elk. He has one rifle, a Browning a-bolt 7mag. He uses win supreme bullets, and kills both deer and elk with one shot. His gun is blued with a synthetic stock. Nothing fancy, but very effective. This past Nov he killed an elk a 283yards, one shot through the lungs. I have never owned an a-bolt, but based on his rifle, they are great guns.
Good Hunting,
Hal

aunsaber 01-03-2004 04:10 PM

I like my a-bolt Medallion in every way, except the rear sight.
Mine is a 375 H&H with sights. The rifle is so beutiful and then they stick an ugly cheap looking Williams sight on it.
They could have used a Win 70 rear sight, or something similar and made it look like it belongs there.
Since yours won't have iron sights I don't think you will be disappointed.IMO

Worc 01-05-2004 11:15 AM

Sorry Back 40, I'm not going to be much help either. I think you might be looking for the "old needle in the haystack". While any gun or anything for that matter can have problems. I'm sure you will be hard pressed to find someone(Knowledgeable) with a whole lot of negatives about the A-bolt.
They have a pretty smooth action. Thus largely due to the fact that the bolt has flat spots machined on it. You will come to appericate the short bolt throw of 60 degrees.
I have one chambered in .308Win. without the boss. It's a great shooting and functioning gun. Quality is also very good with tight wood to metal seams.

bigbuck270 01-05-2004 11:48 AM

The Abolt is very accurate right out of the box and the trigger is great. I only have two bad things to say about mine.
1. If the BOSS is loose your POI will be off.
2. Its made in Japan. That really stinks.

Other than those I love mine. I have said before it is the best gun I have shot.

Todd1700 01-05-2004 12:06 PM

I have an A-bolt with synthetic stock in 7mm-08. No problems here. 1 inch groups straight out of the box with factory ammo. I don't have the boss system so I can't comment on that but I love it and would buy another one.

270BBR 01-05-2004 05:01 PM

I have a Browning Boltaction Rifle BBR, this rifle came out before the A-Bolts. The A-Bolt what I hear is better than the BBR. Good luck with the Browning, I love mine and it out lasted 3 houses, 5 trucks, 2 horses and 5 computers.

herman 01-07-2004 05:40 AM

I just got a browning stalker in 270 wsm this past year and cannot say anything bad about it either.I shoot a lot and I really got it to play with and to hunt a powerline,did get a deer with it this year but was only 75 yds chasing a doe.I use reloads that I worked up and this is one shooting rifle,have shot less than 1/2 in @100 and less than 1in@200 so far.on 2 different days at the range I got less than 2 inches @300 yds.(1.1 & 1.8 in).All I did to it is adjust the trigger.I don't think you would go wrong with the browning,I sure like mine.

cdr4thBn 01-07-2004 06:24 PM

I own two A-bolts. I'll soon own a third.