Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting? >

What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting?

Old 12-30-2003, 04:23 PM

Default What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting?

I have hunted with a 357. Magnum, what do you use or suggest for deer or elk? I have heard of so many different caliber's, what say you?

Dr. Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 08:42 AM

Default RE: What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting?

Thompson Contender comes to mind. Just about any rifle caliber out of it will be great for deer. For elk, I have no idea. You're not going to get the velocity (hence energy) out of that short barrel that you would from a rifle. I'd want it to be at least a 30.06, and even then I'd want a very close (like bow range) shot and a perfect broadside angle to get the best penetration.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Contender or Encore come to mind. If you like recoil you could go with a 300WSM in an Encore. I really like the 7-30 Waters in the Contender for deer.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

To really answer you question, we need some more info. How long are the shots you'll be taking? Do you prefer revolvers or something like a single-shot T/C? Do you want one caliber that'll take both deer and elk? Do you hand-load? How do you handle recoil? There are many verialbles when it comes to "pointing" someone to a hunting handgun. Give us a little more info and we'll find something that will fit your bill.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

.454 Casull, more than enough for any game ive heard of.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk. 44 Mag. Its taken all North American big game and most African game as well. Easy to shoot not so expensive easy to find guns and ammo.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:24 PM

To really answer you question, we need some more info. How long are the shots you'll be taking? Do you prefer revolvers or something like a single-shot T/C? Do you want one caliber that'll take both deer and elk? Do you hand-load? How do you handle recoil? There are many verialbles when it comes to "pointing" someone to a hunting handgun. Give us a little more info and we'll find something that will fit your bill.

T/C,

I like revolvers, I looked at the 454, and the 50 today at Cabela's in Sidney Nebraska, I liked the 50, a little long with the brake, but felt nice, I have no problem with recoil, I can do my own hand loads. The averagedistance for taking an elk is 65 yards, I cow call when sitting at my stand, and have scored just about every year. Does this info help? Thanks for responding to my post, and thank you everyone, take care.

Dr. Mike
Old 01-01-2004, 10:19 PM

I'd have to agree with Ridge Runner on this one. The .375 JDJ will do anything you need done on big game from a handgun. And the additional advantage is...that by simply switching barrels to a different caliber...that same handgun frame will do "anything at all" that can be done with a hunting handgun. Including rimfire and shotshells! What more could you ask?
Old 01-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

For handgun hunting, I prefer NOT to drag around something that is as heavy and ponderous as a carbine, like the TC single-shots. I prefer a revolver, and like the .454 Casull. There's certainly nothing wrong with a properly loaded .44 Mag., or .45 Colt, for that matter. However, if elk are on the list, I'd choose a .454, a .480, or one of the Linebaugh calibers like .475 or .500. The new S&W .500 is also looking good, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:56 AM

I guess a lot depends on the intended usage/purpose of the handgun. If it is to be the primary hunting arm I have no qualm with carrying a contender, (or some such pistol). If it is to be a secondary arm I do actually prefer a much more compact handgun.....such as eldequeldo has described, (though I will admit those particular handgun/cartridge combinations are very capable for elk sized animals on their own).

But if I'm only carrying one weapon....I don't find the Contender too cumbersome! Alot has to do with personal preference!

Once again, best of luck!

Quick Reply: What's the best handgun for deer/elk hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.