Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The truth about guns and loads. >

The truth about guns and loads.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The truth about guns and loads.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:15 AM

Default RE: The truth about guns and loads.

Spelling should always count.
Last evening, having returned from a holiday party, I posted a couple of replies that contained a few "typos". One should never play with guns or computers while drinking.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:30 AM

cdr4thBn,Welcome to the board.If any of this bunch gives you any trouble call me and I'll diddy bop on over and choke them with my " Blue Braid".......J/K Like I told a guy we are all legs once we hit the ground.(spent a whole lot of time at Benning )This is a really good forum here.Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:39 AM

Hey cdr4thBn,

Thanks for the reply.....was Infantry myself....retired in 1994. Sometimes "straightleg"....sometimes "mech" with some time as Drill Instructor, and even an assignment with Combat Systems Test Activity at Aberdeen....all thrown in for good measure. Was in Alaska at retirement time, (yeah....it took nearly 20 years but I finally pulled that assignment). Was Ops Sgt at a Leadership Academy when I finally called it quits. In "97" we headed back to Pennsylvania for family reasons. But, we're headed back to Alaska this upcoming spring/summer.

In retrospect....may have been the "most rewarding" period of my life...employment wise. Unfortunately, circumstances always seemed to conspire to prevent my ever making it to an "airborne unit". But I did follow that dream with civilian skydiving....after retirement. I know, not the same, but the best alternative...after the fact.

Well, once again, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to future exchanges! (Oh by the way...around here insure you have "interlocking fire" and "cover your deadspaces"!)
Old 12-28-2003, 11:18 AM

cdr4thBn,

I never did ask you for your definition of a "big game rifle". Sorry for the confusion. I did ask for your definition of "big game". Reason being is this site is pretty well over run by folks whose hunting experience "maxes out" at deer hunting and they make some interesting extrapolations about big game hunting based on their experiences hunting deer, a fairly marginal/common game animal.

Is your New Mexico elk trip your first for elk? (What a great state!)

Good choice on the 300WinMag with FailSafes for elk, even with a good set up like that one I think you'll be impressed with how (in most cases) an elk handles a "hit" versus how a deer handles a "hit".

Range of rifle cartridges: 6mm to 7mm to heavy 30 cal. Nice rack, not all bunched up like some.

BTW - as long as you are logged in you can edit your posts (by clicking the icon in the top border of the post), either right away or "the morning after". I hardly ever write a post that I don't edit; figure folks shouldn't have to endure poorly written stuff. Much appreciated that you care about it.

Welcome to the boards,
EKM
Old 12-28-2003, 11:46 AM

Hey, I like you guys.
Some points ....
1. I never, ever saw the sense in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft only to have somebody shooting at me when I was coming down. Had a good friend (eventually my brigade commander who promoted me) who got shot down three times in one week in Viet Nam doing dust-offs.
2. No, the New Mexico hunt is not my fiirst but my first in New Mexico. Last year I drew a non-resident archery tag in Area 84 of Colorado without a preference point. It was like winning Lotto. The drought was terrible and temperatures in Sept. were in the 90's even at 8000 feet. Subsequently, there was little rut activity.
The year before in Idaho I spent two days doing SAR (Search & Rescue) with the U.S. Forest Service during an elk hunt there in October of '01. A freak early storm dropped about 3' of snow on us and guys were left out there. That was just after we had stood down from the WTC on 9/11. I was assigned to the 53rd Troop Command in Valhalla, NY and the EOC. I got home in time to go hunting and then go searching. I did shoot a couple of nice deer out there.
Montana the year before saw a good hunt with one bull and two mulie bucks taken by our group.
So, as you can see the last few years have seen a lot of the West, before that I did a lot of hunting in the South (North and South Carolina). I've been fortunate to have had the resources to go places and do things, all the while having a wonderful whitetail population right here near West Point.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never, ever saw the sense in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft only to have somebody shooting at me when I was coming down.
In the Air Force we like to say there is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:32 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: cdr4thBn

Hey, I like you guys.
Some points ....
1. I never, ever saw the sense in jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft only to have somebody shooting at me when I was coming down.

But it paid more money.

That was what I always worried about ,some smart A$$ like me going to shoot me in the boys.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

To argue for more than 30 seconds over which is best is a waste of time and breath. What it should be about is how well you and your selected combination perform at the time you squeeze the trigger.
Most big game calibers will make whatever you're hunting.... dead.... as long as you place the bullet in the right location. Bullet placement has always been and will always be the single most important factor in taking whichever animal we hunt. We should spend less time searching for the magic combination and spend far more time on the range learning to shoot that rifle as well as we possibly can.
As one of Jack O'Connor's old Indian guides used to say, whenever the "white men" began to argue over the merits, or lack thereof, of any given caliber/bullet/load, "ANY GUN GOOD, SHOOT 'UM GOOD!!"

You are, of course, 100% correct! But what fun would IT be, if we stopped arguing about such things??

(When I was in AK in the '60's we had the 4th Bn, 9th Inf. (MANCHU'S) there at Ft. Wainwright, part of the 171st Inf. Bde (Mech) to which I was assigned.... "KEEP UP THE FIRE!!")
Old 12-29-2003, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

I believe alot of it has to do with people feel inferior if someone else shoots something they don't. They make statements like, "why do you need that gun", or something really silly like "you get meat damage". The craziness goes on and on.

So they get on here yapping on what you should be shooting. Anything I belive with more than 1000ft/lbs of energy at impact over a .243 will do the job. And do it well. I love all calibers. I just love guns.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:41 AM

.... and so it goes!

EKM

Quick Reply: The truth about guns and loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.