Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what do you think? >

what do you think?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what do you think?

Old 12-24-2003, 03:41 AM

Default what do you think?

well after spending some serious loot on a engagement ring ( what a big fool )[], but she is the one that is willing to buy 20 acres with me in maine. so i think it is worth it and she is more leinient twards my obssesion with hunting and my guns.

but i have been given the go ahead sometime nextyear to et a new gun. has anyone owned or own a rem 760 or a 7600 chambered in 35rem? i am getting more into stalking and stilhunting and i was thinking the rem 200gr. rn will be the perfect medicine.

what do you al think???

also since the magazines would hard to find could i use a 308win magazine for the 35rem? or do you think i might have feeding problem with it?
Old 12-24-2003, 05:19 AM

Default RE: what do you think?

I think you will be dissapointed with the 35 rem as a deer cartridge. The rifle might be just what would suit you, but in my opinion , if you want a 35 cal. go with the whelen.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you'd like a 760 in .35 Whelen a lot better. It gives you the option of shooting moose and large bear, which you can do with a .35 Rem. also, but the Whelen is a much better choice for these big critters. You already have a .35 Whelen, don't you??

The 760 series are much better guns than the semi-autos made on the same receiver!
Old 12-29-2003, 04:45 AM

i already own a 35whelen that is actually my first " custom " rifle i have done. i thought the 35rem since alot of my firends use them and drop deer in there tracks would be something nice to have.
since it will be used for tracking in the swamps. plus i already have a two 30-06sprg's which could be used for moose aswell.
i have owned a rem 7400. eve though it felt like an extension of my arm and will say to this day .. that of all my guns fit me the best i ended up haveing problems. plus i already own a MKII safari BAR.
Larry338..

why would you think i would be disapointed in the 35rem? my shots for what i would use the gun would be under 100yds .?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:59 PM

Quilly, I don't think the 35Rem will work in a 760 action. The smaller case dimensions on the 35Rem could cause problems. A conversion to 358Win would probably be a better choice if you looking for a 35cal short action round.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington if you are set on that caliber? Just a suggestion. I sure like that Marlin 336
Old 12-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the engagement. Have you considered a Browning BLR chambered in 358?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 AM

wolf killer..

i did think about that for awhile. but i am a fan of the 35rem but hate the marlin lever actions do to being to short and have to take it off my shoulder to cycle the lever.

i don't know i thought the 35rem in a pump would be an ideal stalking gun in maine.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:29 AM

Quilly,
I have a new Remington 7600 Carbine in .35 Rem that I got about 3 months ago. Don't let anyone tell you the cartridge won't put deer down. It's a great caliber for deer,drops them like a ton of bricks I use the 150 gr. Core-loks and never had a problem with them.
Deer Magnet (Bob)