HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Core-Loct fails me again! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/46948-core-loct-fails-me-again.html)

Quilly 12-24-2003 03:36 AM

RE: Core-Loct fails me again!

fight4yourguns..

i think it would be more with a higher velocity caliber like a magnum using a non premium bullet. might tend to have problems than using a premium bullet.

Mystro 12-24-2003 11:58 AM

hey work great with a 30cal. but

I have owned a Sako 7mm mag and the two deers I did shoot with it ran farther than they should have with good shots. I also hunt with a die-hard 7mm buddy that has never knocked down a deer ever with his 7mm mag. I hunted with a 30-06 before I got my 7mm-mag and always dropped the deer in their tracks. After two deers with the 7mm-mag I switched to a 300 Win Mag and it dumps deer quicker than anyother deer-rifle I have ever seen.
I use 180gr core-locks and winchester power points. The latest monster buck I shot was a 9-pointer that weighed 210lbs. I shot him in the neck and the bullet was found in its lower back after destroying the neck and spine. It also knocked both antlers off. When the deer was shot, it flipping the deer backwards in its tracks. (Pictures and story at www.pabucks.com under "where did the antlers go?") I am a 30cal believer.

skeeter 7MM 12-24-2003 12:43 PM

RE: hey work great with a 30cal. but

Mystro, I have dropped them in their tracks with my 7 Rem mag ( 2 bucks weighing in at or over 300lbs on the hoof, 1 average sized buck & doe, Calf moose) Of the ones that mustered any distance they were found in less than 50 yards and were mostly a direct result of the shot(placement/distance). So while you and your pal haven't witnessed it, I can tell you a 7 rem mag can drop them flat. I certainly can tell you I have seen them drop from a lot of calibers and run seemily dead on their feet from a lot of calibers as well. Not saying your 300 winnies isn't packed full of wump but the comment of .30 over .284 don't float with me in regards to dropping an animal in its tracks, many other factors to consider.

Mystro 12-24-2003 01:49 PM

Agreed skeeter.

Its my own personal experiences with the 7mm-mag. I like guns so you know how it is as a hunter. If a gun doesnt do what you think it should do in the woods, Time to try somthing different. I got tired o hearing how everones old 30-06 is puttin em down quicker than my 7mm Magnum. I got sucked into their "Macho Head games". Having the 9-pointers antlers fall off shut em up.

stubblejumper 12-24-2003 03:09 PM

RE: Agreed skeeter.

If you aren't able to drop deer quickly with a 7mmremmag you need help with shot placement or bullet selection not a larger bullet.I use 140gr ballistic tips in my 7mmstws and of about 20 of our large bodied canadian deer killed none has made it 50 yards with most dropping on the spot or within a few steps.

PABuck_HNTR 12-25-2003 04:21 PM

RE: Agreed skeeter.

think it would be more with a higher velocity caliber like a magnum using a non premium bullet. might tend to have problems than using a premium bullet
I wouldn't know about the magnums, I just think they are overkill for deer. Just my opinion though. I know alot of you guys like them. And there are also guys who think Bigger is Better no matter what they're hunting.

ir655 12-25-2003 07:01 PM

Hmmm

That is strange. I use 150gr BT Federal Premium's. I have shot 3 bucks this year and they all dropped in their tracks, 1 being a neck shot at 40 yards, the second @ 100 yards double lung penetration. And the 3rd one @ around 250 yards slight quartering shot away from me. The Federal Premium's are expensive, but so far it's been "1 bullet 1 kill shot for me" with this ammo.:)