Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CHEAPER SCOPES..... >

CHEAPER SCOPES.....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CHEAPER SCOPES.....

Old 12-21-2003, 08:43 AM

Default CHEAPER SCOPES.....

hey all im going to be buying a new rifle in .22-250 for chucks, crows and yotes but now i just need to decide on which scope to get. since im 18 and im a general labourer i dont make much money so after spending $800 on a rifle i dont really wnana spend alot on a high power scope....

i havent really looked much but so far i have been lookin at a bushnell banner dusk & dawn 6x-18x 50mm and ive heard these r pretty good for the money
(180.00 plus tax canadian i think)

ive also noticed a tasco target and varmint 8x-24x 40mm for $130 canadian plus tax....

im leaning towards the bushnell because ive heard better things about them

please let me know what ya'll think bout these scopes and also suggest other scopes that r good

thx

ch312
Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CHEAPER SCOPES.....

I have a old Tasco 6X18 mounted on a 22-250 that hasn't let me down yet! You get what you pay for,I bought that Tasco years ago and the quality was better then. I don't like Bushnell at all,I had the crosshairs broke on a 3200 and went back to Leupold...
Old 12-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd save your money and get a nicer scope for it. Remember that a rifle is only as good as the glass sitting on top of it. Buying an $800 varmint rifle and putting a $130 scope on it is like listening to a $2000 home theater receiver through $50 speakers or putting retreads on a Corvette.

I can't personally vouch for Tasco, and the Bushnell I have on my Knight has worked ok so far. But when I bought my Ruger varmint gun I saved and budgeted for nice glass for it. I ended up getting a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44AO target scope (fine crosshairs), and I'm glad I did, even if I paid almost as much for the scope as I did the rifle. The Nikon is clear all the way up to 20x, the 1/8 MOA clicks are precise and really are 1/8 MOA and the turrets are resettable once you find your zero. It came with hunting and target turrets, 4" sunshade and dust cover.

I'd suggest you save your money and buy a good scope in a month or two rather than settle for a cheap scope now and regret it later.

Mike
Old 12-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a good number of cheap Tasco and Bushnell scopes and never once had a problem with any of them. At the same time I've got friends that can say the exact opposite.

Thgere are times I believe a scope is 90% ego and 10% glass.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thgere are times I believe a scope is 90% ego and 10% glass.
That pretty much sums it up. That whole "you get what you pay for" line doesn't always hold water. I think people use it to justify spending more money than they need to.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:37 PM

Canadian Hunter312,
I have a bushnell banner 6x18x50 AO scope. I think it is a pretty good scope for the money. I have had it on my .270 for 3 years now and it definately holds its zero, and also tracts accurately. For the hunting purposes that you stated, I would think this scope would work fine.
The only drawbacks about this scope (for me) is:
1) the lowest power is 6X. This higher magnification is not good for hunting in thicker woods and it is a little harder to get on your game if it is moving.
2) I personally don't like the 50mm scopes because they tend to be a littler heavier and also cause you to raise your cheek up some when shooting. (not really a big deal).

These few reasons have me searching for a new scope for my .270. When I buy a new 22-250 I will then put the bushnell banner on that gun. Hope this helps.

LAHUNTER
Old 12-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've owned a good number of cheap Tasco and Bushnell scopes and never once had a problem with any of them.
I agree

You can not blame the scope all the time. I am not a rifle hunter but with a rest, my shotgun will comes close. However you take any gun and cartridge and change just a few drams or grains of powder. the wind , or maybe get over excited and the outcome is, "you can't blame it all on the scope". Human era is always a factor.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

In useing 30-50 cheaper Bushnells and tascos and never yet to have my first problem. The banner is a good scope. Faulty mounting is responsible for 95 percent of broken cross hairs. You must come close to zeroing the scope with the rings and mounts before you touch the adjustment knobs. I always count the turns and make sure I start with the adjustment knobe centered both directions. That will take care of the problems many have with cheaper scopes. I would like to put the best scopes money can buy on every rifle. I can't do it. I don't have that kind of money. Lucky for me I have never had to spend the big bucks for glass. I don't feel at all handycapped if I have to put a 60.-100 scope on my rifles. WHY? Because like I said I have yet to have a problem with the better of the cheaper scopes. I have used them a lot and used them hard. I sold a couple hundred of these scopes when I had my gun shop for about ten years. Had great results from Bushnell Sportsview and Tasco world class. Never had one returned or a complaint. Lueplolds are very good scopes but there are many other very good scopes as well. Good luck.