HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Should I order T3 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/46659-should-i-order-t3.html)

iloveto4x4innc 12-18-2003 10:14 AM

Should I order T3

I'm looking at getting a new gun and after reading all the good posts about the Tikka T3, that's what I'm looking to get. My question is, my local dealers don't have any in stock, so would I be disappointed if I had them order one for me? I want the T3 Lite stainless in .300 Win. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Worc 12-18-2003 10:33 AM

RE: Should I order T3

I don't think so. You should be aware that the trigger gaurd and some other parts are made of plastic. If that's not a problem for you. Then you should be happy. I have a Tikka Whitetail which is very similar. It's a great gun. I personally would'nt get this gun in any short cartridges. It's a "one size fits all" action and clip. You said you wanted a .300 Win.. I'm assuming the .300 Win. Mag. which is a long action anways.

iloveto4x4innc 12-18-2003 10:45 AM

Plastic parts don't bother me...Just one less thing to worry about getting rusty. I haven't bought into the whole short mag craze so I'm looking at the regular .300 win. mag.

PaJack 12-18-2003 10:46 AM

My son-inlaw just picked up a T3 in the .300 WSM,real accurate...;)

oldelkhunter 12-18-2003 10:59 AM

iloveto4x4innc

Bass Pro shops in Charlotte has them

iloveto4x4innc 12-18-2003 11:04 AM

I just got off the phone with Perry's Guns in Wendell and they have one in .300 WSM. He's checking to see if he can get one in .300 Win. mag. I might have to drive over there tomorrow and check out the WSM just to see if I like the gun. Tikka must have kicked up the production in the last couple of months because I checked in Sep. and they didn't have any and didn't know when they would get some.

Danny45 12-18-2003 12:18 PM

I'd say get it. But if you can find what you want in a Whitetail Hunter model, get that instead. I think you'd like it a little better.

bentbarrel 12-18-2003 05:52 PM

I would be a a little leary buying a T3 Lite in a magnum caliber. It is a very light feeling gun to me. My buddy didn't like the felt recoil in a 7 mag in the T3...he ended up trading it in.

Not that I'm afraid of recoil...just a thought...I shoot .300 mags but I'd prefer a heavier, more balanced rifle. I just purchased a 7 mag in the Whitetail Hunter versus the T3 because of the weight and better feel. If you hurry you may be able to find a Whitetail hunter.

If I ever end up with a T3...it won't be a magnum! ;)

Critter Gitter 12-18-2003 06:24 PM

Believe it or not but it's true, you can special order Tikkas from Wally World, and you won't beat their price ANYWHERE.

I just ordered a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 from Wal-Mart for $460. If you can wait the 2-6 weeks for the gun to come, this is the way to go.

Nathan

iloveto4x4innc 12-19-2003 08:05 AM

Bent, I'm not overly concerned with the recoil...It's gonna be my primary hunting rifle. That's what my .270 is for. I want this for elk in CO. Want more butt than the .270 has for the long shots and don't want to lug a heavy rifle around the mountains all day.

bentbarrel 12-19-2003 08:18 AM

Gotcha ya. I like the T3...it's a fine rifle. I'm new to Tikka and have no complaints so far. I looked at both the T3 and the WH and had a hard time deciding between the two. You won't be disappointed in the T3 as far as performance. They're selling like hot cakes around here.

I want one in a 25.06 but the wife says no more for now. [:@]

Good luck with your decision. :)

Superpig 12-19-2003 08:55 AM

I was thinking about the T3 Lite for myself also. I had the good fortune to recently see a gentleman I know a little at the shooting range. He just purchased one in the 300 Win. Mag. His rifle was MOA out of the box. The only problem is that with the light weight of the rifle the recoil was stiff. He doesn't reload so he had a number of factory fodder to go over. His best groups were with the Federal High Energy load he had. I believe it was a 200 grain load. As he fired I watched the recoil rock him back. He likes the accuracy and hates the recoil. However, he is going to have a brake installed which will effectively dampen the recoil but it will also increase noise and muzzle blast. If I buy a Tikka it will not be the T3 Lite. I will opt for one that has more weight. I hate muzzle brakes.