HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   TAlley one piece mounts...opinions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/46655-talley-one-piece-mounts-opinions.html)

Back40 12-18-2003 09:42 AM

TAlley one piece mounts...opinions?

Looking for opinions on the Talley One Piece aluminum mounts. Just seems to be a more stable/secure setup than traditional 2 piece. Alignment problems are my only concern but then again I'm no optics guru. Thanks!

Vapodog 12-18-2003 01:27 PM

RE: TAlley one piece mounts...opinions?

I've never used any of the Talley mounts of any kind...so I went to my Brownell's catalog and looked up Talley mounts.

At least in reading and looking at pictures, they remind me of the standard mounts that came with My Sako L461. They are tapered dovetails and are very impressive in design. There's no reason they will not do the job for you, the tapered dovetail has been around since the sixties that I know of.

Up until the last fifteen years I've used the weaver style mounts and rings and without a single complaint. Since then I've used the "quarter turn" Leupold style of mounting system, and again. without a single complaint.

I'm currently building two dangerous game rifles. A .375 H&H and a .400 H&H and both of them will have weaver style mounts and rings. Would the Talley's work?...I'm sure of it...but prejudice can be difficult to overcome.

oldelkhunter 12-19-2003 06:47 AM

Back40 I usually lap rings and have alignment tools when using rotary rings or any other type ring including Ruger Rings. I had no problem with Talleys in that area in fact when I mounted the scope brand new Leupie 2.5x8 and collimated it was within a couple of clicks of dead on . I am not sure where Vapo is getting the dovetail from or the inferences to Sako . www.talleyrings.com maybe this will help you.

Back40 12-19-2003 07:30 AM

oldelkhunter...pardon my ignorance but what is involved with lapping the rings? I have installed bases/rings on other rifles but perhaps there's more to installing these than an amateur like myself should attempt.

Vapodog 12-19-2003 07:57 AM

Oldelkhunter, thanks for the link.....and yes, I was wrong...I looked at two piece mounts and rings...sorry about that.....

The one piece design does make one question how important it is to have a removable scope.

oldelkhunter 12-19-2003 08:21 AM

Back40 ..lapping is not as hard as it may seem go to sinclair international and look at their base lapping tools. I have not lapped my Talley Rings I didn't need to and if I did I am not sure about lapping those models made of aluminum. I am sure with their customer service they would work something out for you if they didn't align...I would suggest giving them a call if interested.

VAPO yep that is a question i have also if the Scope fails but to alleviate that one would have to go to a quality detachable system ...

Vapodog 12-19-2003 01:55 PM

oldelkhunter, a failed scope is a real possibility but slim...however many hunters want to remove the scope when transporting the firearm in an airplane. These mounts make the task much more difficult I'd think.