HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What ammo to try in my new A Bolt 270? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/46565-what-ammo-try-my-new-bolt-270-a.html)

Back40 12-17-2003 02:22 PM

What ammo to try in my new A Bolt 270?

I'm not a reloader and have never owned a 270. What ammo should I try to hopefully find my new A Bolt's favorite. I know every A Bolt is different but I thought I'd ask what other A Bolt 270 shooters are using as a start.

oldelkhunter 12-17-2003 02:51 PM

RE: What ammo to try in my new A Bolt 270?

Try Hornady and Federal for starters and see how they do...

Danny45 12-17-2003 03:09 PM

Are you prepared to spend a day at the range?? What shoots well in my rifle may not shoot worth a darn in your's. It's going to take some time and experimentation.

Go someplace where ammo is inexpensive or at least as cheap as you can find. Get one box of 5 different Brands and bullet weights. Start with one box, and shoot it for groups. If your first box is shooting under 1" groups at 100 yards, stop right there. Take the other unopened boxes of ammo back and trade them for several boxes of the kind that shot well. Check lot numbers (usually inside one of the flaps) and get the same lot number as what shot so well. Then be happy.

I'd start with one box of each of the following;

Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain
Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain
Federal Premium Ballistic Tip 130 grain
Federal Premium Ballistic Tip 150 grain
Hornady 130 grain SST
Hornady 150 grain SST
Winchester PowerPoint 130 grain
Winchester PowerPoint 150 grain
Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130 grain
Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150 grain

I would clean in between each 3 shot group, just so each type of ammo starts out the same as the last and all this shooting is actually breaking in your barrel. Make sure each shot you take is your best shot. Resist the urge to change brands if that particular brand/weight combo doesn't shoot well in the first 3 shots. Continue to shoot it until you get your 3 best shots off in a row. Try to use targets that have multiple aiming points and shoot each 3 shot group at a different one. When you switch ammo, switch to a new target and label each target with what load you're using on it. If they still won't group, clean the gun and go to the next type. Be sure to let your barrel cool often. At least every 3rd round. Even if you don't find your "best load" until the very last box, don't fret. You'll have plenty of ammo left over to use for plinking, varmint shooting, "breaking in the barrel" if you feel the need to do so, etc. Save the "good" stuff for hunting and pre-season practice.

MOTurkeyTamer 12-17-2003 04:08 PM

For deer, try the Federal Premium 130 or 150 gr. Ballistic Tips, I think you and your A-Bolt will like them.

PABuck_HNTR 12-17-2003 04:13 PM

Both of my 270's shoot regular old Remington Core-Lokts at 1 1/2 5 shot groups, and you don't spend a fortune on them.

GLENNH 12-17-2003 04:27 PM

Back 40 I use federal premium sierra game king btsp 150 grain in my A-BOLT 270 with good results. Hope this helps

James B 12-17-2003 05:04 PM

I like the Fereral Premium also. I would try both the Ballistic tip and the Nosler Partition. 130 grain for deer and elk. 150 Partition for moose or bigger.

skeeter 7MM 12-17-2003 10:38 PM

Anything from 130-150 grains. I personally like ballistic tips or boattails for deer in 130 grain offering(Federal Premium(NBT or Seirra BTSP, Hornady Custom (SST or BTSP) or Winchester Supreme BT's). If you plan to hunt moose or elk with the gun look at nosler parts 150 gr or win. supreme failsafes 140 gr.