HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Want an old Dept. Store Rifle. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/46507-want-old-dept-store-rifle.html)

dpv 12-16-2003 11:18 PM

Want an old Dept. Store Rifle.

How many of you have an old Sears, JC Penney, Wards, Western Field, etc. rifle sitting in the closet of gun cabinet that was purchased by a relative many years ago? My father didn't hunt so my grandfather's guns went to my Uncle. I have been thinking of buying one of these old Department store guns for a few years now. They don't seem to be expensive but I love the "Americana" aspect of it. That way they were marketed in catalogs from Sears, and Montgomery Wards thru mail order. Do any of you have one and how do they shoot? I know it isn't very practical since finding parts for one would be difficult if anything happened to it, but I would love to be able to put a nice fully functional old rifle like that in the hands of one of my boys or someday in the hands of one of their kids. Something to pass down that's a little bit of hunting tradition and history. Tell me if I'm nuts guys.

David

Vapodog 12-16-2003 11:59 PM

RE: Want an old Dept. Store Rifle.

I believe many of the Sears (Ted Williams) guns was actually made by Winchester and many of the Wards guns(western Field) was made by O F Mossberg. Both fine companys in my book.

If that's what you'd like to pass down to the youngsters then let it happen.

I must warn you that these guns are hard to find....they don't seem to be plentiful.

neweboarhunter 12-17-2003 12:03 AM

I have an old Wards western .22 L.R. single shot.

neweboarhunter 12-17-2003 12:04 AM

Vapodog jarred my memory its a Wards western field

James B 12-17-2003 01:37 AM

I don't have any anymore but I ordered several from Wards. Got my first 7mm Mag there. That was back when people could exercise thier rights without much big brother BUTT INS.[:@]

TScottW99 12-17-2003 04:06 AM

I have a Revelation single shot 16 guage and a Noble #16 pump 20 guage. If memory serves, they were both "Western Auto" guns.

I recentley saw a "Ted Williams" 12 guage in a local gun store.

Mykey 12-17-2003 05:23 AM

I have a Revelation 20 gauge single shot shotgun that my late uncle owned and yes Tscott it came from the local Western Auto that is still in business here but they no longer sale guns. The sight bead is broken off the barrel and the trigger spring is broken and the stock has black electrical tape around it but the dang thing will still bring home the turkeys at the local turkey shoots:D I can still remember squirrel hunting with it and rolling up a little piece of gum to stick on the end of the barrel to use for a sight.
I also have a stevens 12 gauge that belonged to my wifes father that has been in the family for quite some time now. My older brother has a Columbia 12 gauge single shot shotgun that my grandfather owned and i have no ideal who made it or where it was purchased but it's very old and still in good shape and still shoots.

swampdog_ 12-17-2003 05:27 AM

I have a .22 Revelation single shot that my father -in law gave me for my son.It will out shoot any .22 I have in the safe.Also have a 12 ga. that I picked up .It says Western Auto Supply Co.Danville Va. on the Barrel.I am from Danville Va.

MR300WM 12-17-2003 05:49 AM

I have a Sears Ranger 16ga bolt action that belonged to my dad. He bought it used when I was very young.

mainehunt 12-17-2003 08:07 AM

I once owned a Revelation pump 12 gauge. It was made by Mossberg. In fact it needed a part once and I ordered it for a Mossberg 500, fit perfectly.