Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka vs A Bolt survey. >

Tikka vs A Bolt survey.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka vs A Bolt survey.

Old 12-16-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Tikka vs A Bolt survey.

I am a lefty and down to these 2 rifles. Tikka only offers lefties the Whitetail Hunter in wood stock and blued finish but have heard no negative comments regarding quality or accuracy. The A bolt is offered in stainless synthetic for lefties but have seen several posts less than impressive accuracy numbers. I have shot a BDL 30.06 for 27yrs and am ready for a new rifle. Is a potential 2 inch MOA group vs a 1 inch that big a deal?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tikka vs A Bolt survey.

Well, in my experience you won't have accuracy complaints from either of these guns. In all honesty, I've only shot 2 Tikka's but they both shot an 1"@100yds if I did my part, and I've shot at least a dozen of Browning's A-Bolt and haven't run across any that wouldn't shoot at least 1.5"@100 if I did my part and most would do better than that (although I'm not too proud to admit that my shooting can easily turn a 3/4" gun into a 1.5" gun on a poor day). The caveat to these guns from the ones I've owned, is take the time to find the load they like to get the best accuracy. My 300 WSM A-Bolt will punch holes into 1.5" with any factory load I want to feed it, but it becomes a sure enough shooter with it's favorite 2 loads.

Gordon
Old 12-16-2003, 09:31 AM

2" versus 1" isn't a big deal for a deer rifle. My vote still goes with the Tikka though.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 AM
bigcountry

For a typical hunter, 2" is about right. If you visit this page more than once a week, then your probably not just a typical "go to the range once a year to sight your guns in hunter". Then if you visit this page much, then you are probably a shootist also. In that case yea 2" is not great at all. If you visit the reloading page along with this one, then 2" is entirely unacceptable. If you just want to shoot a deer, any gun will work with 4" groups.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

BACK40 ...the A bolt may not be everyone's cup of tea but I have never ever heard accuracy as being an issue...YOu don't even need a boss to get the most out of it either
Old 12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an A-bolt in 7mm-08. I can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo pretty consistently. (on the days I can't you can bet it isn't the guns fault) Accuracy will not be a problem with the A-bolt. Never owned a Tikka but always heard good things about them too. I think you will be happy with either.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:58 PM

TIKKA! I just got a Tikka t3, and i've shot an a-bolt. The T3's bolt destroys the A-bolt. The A-bolt sucks compared to the T3!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

The T-3 in most cases cost less than the A-bolt. That's due to the companies decesion to make the action a "one size fits all". So, if you want a .223 rem.. You'll get the same action and magazine as the .300 win. mag. No thanks Tikka! It's fine if you're looking for a long action anyways like a .270win. or 30/06 etc..
I own a Browning A-bolt and a Tikka Whitetail Hunter. They are very similar in many ways. Both are great guns as far as quality and accuracy. It comes down to personal preference. You can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Spike

Back40 I am also a lefty.I wanted a SS bolt so I went with a Browning A-bolt 270 with Boss.With 130 Winchester BST it groups .75.with new SST Interbond Hornady .434 at 100 yards.So far killed two deer with the 130 BST's,first deer at five yards drop in tracks and second deer I made a bad shot to far foward and high in the neck still dropped in tracks at 175 yards(measured with Lecia laser rangefinder).I used to use Federal Prem Sirerea Game Kings in 30-06 150 grains and got all shot thurs no matter the range,poor blood trail and most deer would still go 50-100 yards.Mid season last year went to 3006 Winchester BST and have seven kills to date,5 dropped in tracks,1 went 30 yards(double lungged),another went 25 yards(double lungged and heart.Have yet to use to SST because I am getting such good results with the Ballistic Silver Tips.By the way to 3006 is a BAR that groups under .75 with the BST.Never had a Tikka but with the way my Browning's perform I will always use/buy another until performance goes bad.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had an A-bolt, sold it and bought a Tikka. Best think I've ever done. More accurate and better all around. I got a Whitetail Hunter though and they are a little nicer than the T3's.

1" at 100 yards (MOA - Minute of Angle) is good. 2" is ok but, depending on where you hunt, that might not be good enough. 2" at 100 yards = 2xMOA. What that means is that at 200 yards you'll be off 4" and at 300 yards you'll be off 6". The kill zone of a deer is only 8-10" so if you have a deer at 300 yards (a long shot but makeable) and you know your gun is off at least 6" of that it's hard to make a good shot. Factor in wind, Buck-fever, and any heavy breathing you just did running up the hill to get a better shot and you see why an accurate, a MOA-capable rifle is worth having.

Quick Reply: Tikka vs A Bolt survey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.