Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Nova vs Browning BPS-need some quick replies >

Nova vs Browning BPS-need some quick replies

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nova vs Browning BPS-need some quick replies

Old 12-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nova vs Browning BPS-need some quick replies

After reading on here, and some other sites, I wanted a Benelli Nova for son for Christmas. However, nearest Bass Pro is out of stock, and selling them as fast as they can get them in. Afterwards, found a Browning Bps at another store, they have one left. The Nova is 299, the BPS is 369. However, may have to pay 339 for a nova at another store, whick has one in stock. How do they compare. Am partial to the wood stock, but others have said that once I use a composite, I will prefer it. Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nova vs Browning BPS-need some quick replies

I've had a BPS for several years. I bought it because I'm a southpaw and it's ambidexterous. It is a solid, well-built, dependable shotgun. I don't think you can buy a better shotgun. It's a heavy gun. The only part that is not steel, as far as I can tell, is the trigger guard. It's aluminum. I've got the model with a composite stock. While I prefer walnut stocks, I must say that, for a utility shotgun, I'm now a fan of composites. They're tough, impervious to water and mud, and always look good when cleaned off.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both guns are fine guns...I'd not be too concerned with quality..both are fine.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned both of them and had no problems with either one . But personally I didn't care for the way they felt while shooting them .
Old 12-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Spike

both are great guns,and i have 1 of each. get the browning,you'll never be sorry of it.
dennis
Old 12-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to be up front, I haven't shot a Nova, but I do have a BPS 12 Hunter. I compared both and found the BPS was more to my likeing when I was shopping for a shotgun. I bought the BPS and haven't regretted it a day since. It is a fine, high quality and well built shotgun.

The BPS, as already mentioned, is a heavier pump, in fact it might be the heaviest pump 12 gauge on the market, but it's built like a brick ****house with steel and wood (mostly), just like it should be. It's very smooth, fast shotgun, and has been utterly reliable with anything I've loaded it with from ultralight 2 3/4" skeet loads to 3" Mag turkey loads.

If I were to buy another pump shotgun, I'd get another BPS.

Mike
Old 12-13-2003, 04:18 PM

I have the Browning BPS 3" 12 ga. it is the best gun I have ever owned.
it is one of the older ones,(I have had it 25 years or longer) I got it second handed.

I retired it about 5 years ago and got a Mossberg 3 1/2" ultra mag 12 ga. after all the trouble I had with that pieace of junk ; I used it for a boat anchor and got the BPS out again.it is still going strong.

it has taken many ,many gobblers , not to count the deer and hogs.a gun well worth the little extra money.

it is a gun that will last him all his life time and his sons also.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Both of my boys shoot a BPS. Nice guns! If I ever wear out my 870 Wingmaster, I will without a doubt buy a BPS. Jim
Old 12-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

THANKS EVERYONE for the replies. Bought the Browning BPS tonight. Really looks and feels good. Having second thoughts about giving it to my son!
2Eagles--use an 870 Wingmaster myself. Bought it used in '75, and while I haven't used it all that much, it has really been a good gun. It still looks almost like new. I can only hope my son's BPS performs as well for him as my 870 has for me. Thought the BPS was very well priced, at $369. At that price I couldn't see spending more to get something else.
Thanks again guys for the help.