HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   350 remington mag or 300 remington ultra mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/45526-350-remington-mag-300-remington-ultra-mag.html)

footballboy5571 12-07-2003 11:30 AM

350 remington mag or 300 remington ultra mag

Which has more recoil,the 350 remington mag or the 300 ultra mag.Also which one is better overall for all game in north america.Please respond

akbound 12-07-2003 12:02 PM

RE: 350 remington mag or 300 remington ultra mag

Hi footballboy5571,

I have never shot the .300 Ultra Magnum, so I can't speak to its recoil. I have shot both .300 Winchester Magnums, .300 Weatherby Magnums, and the .350 Remington Magnum. In all honesty I couldn't differentiate much in a difference between them.

Alot has to do with the weight of the rifle, the design and material of the stock, and the load you are shooting. If all other things are equal, (ie. stock weight, stock composition, rifle weight), and they seldom are, recoil will be determined by several factors. These factors are:

Bullet Weight
Bullet velocity
Bullet bearing surface
Powder burned to achieve velocity

As you change any of those factors you also change recoil. Somethings are constant. As bullet weight goes up...recoil impulse also increases. As the velocity increases....the speed which the recoil impulse occurs is also quickened. As bullet bearing surface is reduced....recoil impulse is reduced. And the more powder that is burned to achieve a particular velocity...the more recoil there will be!

How a person perceives recoil is a very subjective thing. Everyone has their limit or tolerance and once they exceed that limit.....their shooting accuracy will decrease. (Sometimes disasterously so!) To kind of get an idea for comparison sake, try this site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table_exp.htm

Hopefully this has helped!

P.S. As to your other question. Which one would make the best all around cartridge for hunting North America. Let me ask you this. Which is better...Apples or Oranges? Depending on who you ask you will get different answers to that question. And they can make logical arguments for their selection. But in the end......it is still Apples or Oranges. By the way.....for me it would be the .350 Remington Magnum!

Deleted User 12-07-2003 02:23 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

stubblejumper 12-07-2003 04:30 PM

One factor that is often overlooked is that if the 300ultramag is going to offer you any advantage over the 300winmag it will be at distances approaching 400 yards and over.Most people don't have the shooting skills to precisely place their bullets at those distances and are unwilling to invest the time and expense for the hundreds of rounds of practise(at ranges to 500 yards) that are required to develop and maintain the necessary shooting skills.If the 300ultramag is your only gun to practise with it will require rebarreling every few years or so as barrel life is not overly long.For the average shooter that only shoots two or three boxes of ammo per year or does not have access to a 500 yard range for long range practise the 300ultramag is a poor choice.

handloader1 12-07-2003 11:59 PM

I would go for the .300 RUM. Good luck.

corey006 12-08-2003 06:21 AM

I would go for the 350 Rem Mag(you may also want to consider the 300 SAUM, 300 WSM, and the EXCELLENT 300 WIN MAG).

Out of the 22" barreled Remington Model 673(this rifle is also available in 300 SAUM) the 350 Rem Mag should be able to take Moose and Elk out to 300 yards. If you are a really GOOD shot I am sure with PRACTICE and the right load it would be good for deer sized game out to 400 yards.

The 300 RUM is a VERY potent cartridge that ranks right up with the 300 WBY mag. As Stubblejumper stated you would need to practice shooting this rifle alot in order to be accurate with it. The heavy recoil will make it UNPLEASANT to shoot if you aren't used to shooting magnum rifles. You would have to be more specific of where you hunt, the primary game you hunt to know if it were required....No sense being over-gunned....

I am also a firm believer that in order to get the TRUE performance out of a SUPER MAG you simply MUST have a 26+ inch long barrel. I don't know what kind of terrain you hunt in but if it ever gets thick you might find yourself cursing that 26 inch barrel...

stubblejumper 12-08-2003 09:04 PM

Corey-Actually the 300ultramag produces more velocity than the 300weatherby.As for the 26" barrel all of my hunting rifles have 26" barrels and I don't find it a problem.That being said I am still hesitant to recommend the 300 ultramag to all but the most experienced shooters that handload and have several guns.

corey006 12-09-2003 04:20 PM

Stubble,

I wasn't sure if the 300 RUM actually exceeded the 300 WBY...if it does it can't be by very much.

It definitely won't catch the 30-378:D

stubblejumper 12-09-2003 08:34 PM

I haveowned the 300wby and chronographed several others and I own two 300ultramags.The 300 ultramags produce 125fps to 150fps more than the 300wby with a 180gr bullet while the 30-378 adds another 100fps or so.

akbound 12-09-2003 09:02 PM

The various .300 Magnums are very good and useful cartridges. Contrary to "popular" usage the truly big ones are at their best with bullets over 180 grains. And for each step up in both velocity and power there is a price. That price comes in several forms. First and literally they are more expensive to shoot on the whole then the "lesser" .300 Magnums. Second the increase in velocity and energy is not proportional to the increase in recoil. Third is the reduction of usable barrel life. Fourth is the "required" increase in barrel length if the "big .30's" are to be of any use. And in the end probably the best reason to question if the "ultra 30" is what you need is this......What are you using it for and in what application? Followed by what is your "real" skill level?

I know that many Americans "believe" they are truly descended from Daniel Boone, (said with a wink and a smile), but the sad truth is......that for every ten "big 30's" in the field.....at best probably two of thier owners are truly capable of utilizing them. I would venture a guess that most people that have "talked" about making 500 and 600 yard shots....have NOT. Either in the hunting fields, on a range, or even "plinking" hill top to hill top. I would be willing to bet money that no more than half of those owners have ever even sat down and actually zeroed/shot at 300 yards on a range. And of those probably half....actually kept a target!

Now, I didn't say there is not a place and a use for the big .30's. There most certainly is. If you have a need for them, (or heck...even if you "just want one"), that's good enough. What I did say is this.....that a large percentage of the people that buy them aren't capable of using their capability. And even that isn't a real problem....as long as they don't then go "blasting" hill top to hill top at live game, (in the hope of killing something).

Frequently when someone is inexperienced enough that they need to ask if they need an ultra .300......they are inexperienced enough to not be able to make good use of it. And furthermore would be better served with a smaller standard cartridge until they can both shoot.....and know they can put the big .30 to use! And I remember someone telling me that they got a friend started at "long range" shooting. And that they had done a good job of doing it right. But that brother....is the exception! Frequently new shooters leave the shop with their new .300 and aren't even certain which .300 to buy the ammo for. Think I'm kidding? I've seen it for myself. And once they get out the door......it goes down hill from there.

Personally I kind of believe like the old adage goes....."if you need to ask the price....you can't afford it"! Well, if you don't know if you need the ultra .300....you can't effectively employ it! Buy a .308 Winchester....or a .270 Winchester.....or a .30-06 and learn to shoot. If you can't cleanly kill a deer at 300 yards with one of those cartridges....You certainly don't need any .300 let alone one of the "new, bigger, ones"!

Once again, I'm not saying the big .300's aren't useful and worthwhile. I'm just saying that there aren't as many people capable of using them...as own them!

If that doesn't apply to anyone reading this post. And you have shot at 300 yards and further at a range. And you know your load and rifle. And are capable of utilizing it under field conditions......don't get upset at me and verbally beat me up. I'm not talking about or to you. But if you haven't done those things I just enumerated......don't go around fooling yourself. And better yet....don't misapply your lack of skill on a fine game animal which deserves a humane death.

Nuff said!