Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle..Or shotgun? >

Rifle..Or shotgun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle..Or shotgun?

Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Rifle..Or shotgun?

What do you prefer? Obviously there's the fact that you can hunt alot more things than a rifle succesfully, but, what's your reason?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle..Or shotgun?

Well for deer hunting I prefer a rifle. Where I hunt we can't use buckshot. Even if we could I still prefer a rifle due to the type of hunting I do which is from a stand. No spot and stalk or dog hunting allowed. I could use a shotgun with a slug but having become suddenly recoil sensitive I find a rifle much easier on my shoulder, therefore I have more confidence and can shoot better. Now squirrels and rabbits get a 20 gauge SxS.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:40 PM

Rifle for deer. More accurate and further distance. I ONLY take one shot. Never used a shotgun for deer though. Wouldn't want to.

I also like using a .22 for squirrel.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:02 PM

I dont know ANYONE that actually prefers to shoot a shotgun. They simply shoot their doveguns at deer because they voted for Democrats for to many generations in their state!

RA
Old 12-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedAllison, holy cow. That is profound. Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:53 AM

Actually, red, In virginia, where i live, some countys, you can only use shotgun. My brother lives in NH, and uses shotgun. He likes to be really close. He also owns a 30-06. If all you could shoot was a shotgun, or no gun, no hunting, what would you choose? shotgun is very versatile for alot of game, including deer, and, of course, you have to be closer. And no he doesn't use his dovegun to shoot at deer. That's why i made this thread. [>:]
Old 12-05-2003, 05:43 AM

To me that's comparing apples to oranges. Kind of like asking "Which do you prefer, a fork or spoon?" Both are tools designed for different applications. Sure I can eat "some" soup with a fork or I can eat steak with a spoon, but they aren't the most efficient ways of eating.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 AM

Well guys guess i'm the odd man out as where I deer hunt we can only use shotguns & I love it....I have an 870 remington pump gun with a rifled barrel & tru glow sites on it & love it....3" groups at 100 yrds....as for buckshot, I frimly believe that it shoud be illegal to hunt with buckshot...slugs only!!!!!!!!! Just my own .02 cents worth....by the way, I got a deer with my slug gun this year now i'm out with the crossbow trying for another!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 12-05-2003, 06:19 AM

I just got back from potter co PA and didnt even use my rifle. I used my H&R slug gun the whole time. Can reach out to 150 yds and the terrain wouldnt allow for much longer of a shot. Now if I go on a trip to the midwest or the west coast I will take my 30 06. I just love the new H&R , havent found one thing bad about it yet.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I HAVE used shotguns for deer.[:'(] I would NEVER use a shotgun for anything larger than a coyote by choice. However, a shotgun is certainly more versatile in terms of the different kinds of game you CAN bag with it! You CAN shoot deer with it too, if you absolutely can't use a rifle or muzzleloader where you hunt.

Quick Reply: Rifle..Or shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.