HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   remington model 710???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/45281-remington-model-710-a.html)

NE Hunter 12-05-2003 07:11 PM

RE: remington model 710????

I've never fired a 710 so I can't say how good they shoot but I have handled one ... Stick with the 700 if you want a Rem, or look at Savage, Winchester, Howa, ( my local walmart sells ) Weatherby ( made by Howa) they all are under $ 400.00 with scope. Good luck with your purchase.

PAhunter86 12-05-2003 09:47 PM

The bolt has a tendancy to come free by itself and the magazine falls out.
umm, thats never happened to me, where did you find this out???

frizzellr 12-06-2003 08:17 AM

That happened with two of them I was looking at. Most reputable gunshops here in town won't even sell them.

Ruger-Redhawk 12-06-2003 12:09 PM

Most of you know my feelings about the Remington 710.Someone must be buying them since Remington is still making these inferior peices of junk. I'm really surprised they are still in production.I figured they wouldn't last a year in Remington's line once they were introduced.There must be a of allot of people who know nothing about guns and have heard the Remington name.If it'a Remington it must be good? Wrong answer there.
Ruger Redhawk

t-roy 12-09-2003 08:02 AM

hit the gunshops/shows and buy a used remington 788. they are great

oldelkhunter 12-09-2003 09:04 AM

I know there are plenty of people that like 710's and I really don't want to offend anyone if they are happy with them. I don't like them personally and think a Howa, Winchester Black Shadow(Walmart Model), Savage, Remington 700adl are much wiser choices in the long run especially if your a one box a year hunter.

semi 12-09-2003 10:21 AM

I looked at one right before buying my Winchester model 70 (same price range with a scope). The Winchester was a much better put together gun IMO.. there were gaps between the stock and barrel on the 710 REM and it just looked shoddy. The grey pastic stock on the Rem 710 looked fischer price.

JagMagMan 12-09-2003 10:27 AM

Because of the Remington 597 and 710, I'd be leary of anything "Remington," until they prove themselves to be a good company again! You can't beat the quality of the Savage or Winchesters, dollar for dollar!

Gary10ec1 12-09-2003 07:47 PM

Well here comes the desenting vote. I have a 710 and it actually does pretty well. I did have the trigger worked on ( ratchety to start with) and now shoot 2" groups at 100 yds. Not a family heirloom but not as bad as some of the other posts. Alot of hearsay I think. The 700 is the real deal and for the money is superior by far. Depends what you are looking for in a gun. I think alot of shooting is the shooter if truth be told. Whatever you get practice till you are comfortable with the guns (and your) capabilities. Good luck on your purchase and good hunting.

iloveto4x4innc 12-11-2003 11:57 AM

I'll agree that the 710 is uglier'n the South end of a North bound mule, and not built real well. However mine does shoot real well. I shoot sub 1" groups at 100yrds with Federal premium HE ammo. For what I use this gun for, it's perfect. I hunt in swamps and the gun has a tendancy to get banged around and on occassion, dunked in the water. I haven't had a problem with the magazine falling out and the only time the bolt has come out is when I didn't get the locking lever pushed down all the way.