HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Any southpaws shooting RH bolt actions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/45223-any-southpaws-shooting-rh-bolt-actions.html)

Back40 12-04-2003 09:47 AM

Any southpaws shooting RH bolt actions?

I really had my heart set on a synthetic/stainless to replace my BDL 30.06. Unfortunately southpaw options in bolt actions are few and far between. I really like the Tikka T3 and am considering buying a right hander since the first shot is usually the only I need. :D. Like to know how the other lefty shooters deal with shooting RH bolt actions. Thanks!

bigbuck270 12-04-2003 11:15 AM

RE: Any southpaws shooting RH bolt actions?

Browning makes some great left handed bolts. I shoot a medalion with boss and love it. It is very accurate. You should look into them. I would also look into a single shot. I also have a TC encore. You could get a second shot off just quick with that as you could a rt bolt.

skeeter 7MM 12-04-2003 11:22 AM

Back40,

I started out with a pump, went to RH bolts and now will never own anything but a LH bolt. It is not the bolt cycle but rather the feel of the stock when butted into my shoulder/cheek and the safety placement on some models are my main reasons for wanting to only use a lh action. Having said that I know a few lefty's who use and like their RH bolts. The desicion is really only yours to make.

Rem 700, Win Mod 70, Ruger, Browning, Savage and Tikka whitetail hunter all make a lh action bolts. Have you looked at the Browning Abolt SS Stalker, it has what you want and is offered in a LH version(I own one in a 270 and it has been a great rifle).

Back40 12-04-2003 12:07 PM

skeeter 7mm...yes I have looked into the Stainless Stalker but have heard of some inconsistancies with brownings barrels. Tikka's left hand whitetail hunter is only available in wood stock and I really wanted to go to a synthethic.

James B 12-04-2003 01:00 PM

The options for LH bolts now are the beat they have ever been. I am right handed but lost my right eye and had to learn to shoot LH. I use both and can operate either at about the same speed. Not being left handed I can't work the LH bolts as well as a lefty could. I do try to make the first shot count. I can work a pump really well as I am operating those with my right hand. One thing that erks me though is when the dealers want to charge you more for a LH when you buy it and less when you try to trade them in.

jed 12-04-2003 01:56 PM

Don't overlook the remington custom shop either. They have some nice stuff at less than one would think. I bounce back and forth between Ruger no 1's, lever actions, RH and LH bolts. The left hand bolt is always way better. I think you will be happier with a good LH bolt. Keep looking

skeeter 7MM 12-04-2003 04:00 PM

back40, I hear ya painted into a corner and offerings for a lefty. I forgot about the Tikka, oops! I have never had a problem and know many others who own abolts with equally good reviews, but if your leary don't buy one. Ruger offer a ss/sythetic or you could look custom. If shooting RH action and the fit of a particular rifle is good, than go for it.

Yeah I hate the southpaw grab as well, you pay more and get less...boooo[:@] I guess that's the price of Perfection:)

James B 12-04-2003 10:02 PM

This year I shot a big doe with my new NEF H&R 280 with the 26 inch barrel. I can load that rifle pretty fast. When it breaks open it ejects the empty out like a rocket and I have six extra shells in a elastis shell holder on the stock. That little NEF shoots good too. Heck of a rifle for 189.00. with a 4X scope on it.

RedAllison 12-04-2003 10:20 PM

Back its really no sweat. I am right handed, shoot bows and pistols right handed but was taught to shoot lefthanded by a grandfather that thought I was cross dominant like himself. The advantage (IMO anyway) is that with only a miniscule amount of practice you can actually learn to shoot from EITHER shoulder. Just last Sunday morning I nailed a doe at 215 yards from my right shoulder as she came in behind my stand from over my left shoulder. With the proper rest and an unhurried shot I feel completely comfortable taking a shot out to about 300 yards with my right shoulder. Only when I have a hurried shot or the deer is in the 10:00 to appx 6:00 posistion to I instinctively go "left".

Lastweek my step-father gave me one of his left handed rifles (7Mag Abolt Stainless Stalker with 3.5x10x50 Vari X III) to try out, he too is right handed but is blind in his right eye since his teen years so most all of his guns are for southpaws. After hunting/shooting for 20 years I find it quite odd to even try a lefthanded gun, but look forward to it none the less. The only thing I have'nt been able to hit at all with was trying my shotguns from my right shoulder. It may just be a mental block, but I cant hit CRAP with a scattergun from my rightside. The last two seasons running I have been averaging a 15 dove limit with less than 1.5 boxes of shells in my Citori. I went 0 for 10 once while forcing myself to shoot right handed.

Like was said, regardless what side the bolt is on... its the first shot that matters!!! ;)
RA

ps
psst 'back, for your "oppositeness" from me I have one thing to say to you... Ruger No. 1!!!

savageshot 12-05-2003 05:48 PM

Back40, i shoot lefty and just got a 30.06 BDL. i'm just curious why you're looking at a new rifle. is there a problem with the BDL or are you just looking for a change?