HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   scope contact on riffle barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/44059-scope-contact-riffle-barrel.html)

wvdeerhunter22 11-22-2003 08:06 PM

scope contact on riffle barrel

I have another scope question. Im pretty new here so please bear with all of the ?' s. I have a 50mm objective scope mounted on a rem 700 30-06. If i had it to do over again id get a 40mm, but that is not an otion as gun season starts monday. The problem is there is a little contact between the bell and the barrel. I realize it is too late to fix it this year so my question is do you think it will hurt anything. Ive shot the gun and it is fairly consistant when you figure in human error. Are shims a good option to fix this after the season.

critch 11-22-2003 08:51 PM

RE: scope contact on riffle barrel

WV, I' d fix it RIGHT now. You may end up shattering a lens. You already have pressure on that scope by tightening it down in the rings and touching the barrel. You' re not getting a good sight picture the way it is. And if your rounds are dancing around the target, something' s wrong. Leupolds don' t dance.
Shims may just work for you. Most importantly, do it now and sight it in again.

Good shootin' .

critch

Vapodog 11-22-2003 08:59 PM

This is not good....the bell of the scope should not touch the barrel......I' ve seen some serious accuracy problems cured by raising the scope off the barrel. Who knows what other things can happen, but I' d get some higher rings or shims soon.

Ruger-Redhawk 11-22-2003 09:48 PM

WBDH22 That' s a No No.Like said correct it now.You didn' t say what rings you' re using. I would go to the next height. Look in a catalog that has scope rings. They have a chart showing what rings are needed for any given scope.It' s better to correct it now before you damage your scope or miss a nice buck.It can and will effect your accuracy
Ruger Redhawk

theoutdoorwizard 11-23-2003 10:46 AM

Have to agree with everyone. You should never have the scope touching the barrel of the gun. Simpliest fix, get the next higher rings.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

eldeguello 11-23-2003 10:56 AM

Fix ' um now! Scope touch barrel, bad! Shims O.K., as long as scope no touch ' um barrel!

BigEd 11-23-2003 04:50 PM

FIX IT NOW! This is not a good thing. It can really FUBAR that scope.

strut 11-23-2003 05:06 PM

Let alone shooting it like that I would' nt even want to tighten the rings down with it hitting the barrel, a good way to mess up a good scope, plus leave some marks on your gun.