Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 red dot scopes >

red dot scopes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

red dot scopes

Old 11-11-2003, 04:37 AM

Default red dot scopes

looking for a red dot scope that will aloow me to shoot out to 100 -150yds with. i know the bushnell holo sight at 75yds is pushing it since the red dot takes up most of the target.

any opinions or options?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: red dot scopes

I sure like my Tasco
Old 11-11-2003, 06:34 PM

Quilly,

I don' t know of any with magnification so out to 150 you better have pretty good eyes. I just shot my new Bushnell Red Dot today - liked it alot at 50 and 100. So far so good. past 100 the dot gets big. I think the dot in mine is 6MOA so it covers a 6 inch circle at 100 yds.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:45 AM

Bgood...

is that the bushnell holosight? i have good eyes so iron sights at 100-150yds is not bad for me at all. if i had peep sights i would push it to 200yds if i had a smaller front sight like a post about .080 in width.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 PM

No the holosight was just too much $$. It' s the Trophy Red Dot with the single reticle. They make the same one with a multi-reticle. I was looking at an ATN laser sight for $159 on ebay but still too much dough for what I wanted. I paid about $75 for mine. I' m pleased and the cheesy rings that came with it work fine so far.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Host of Hosts

I know of 3 people who switched from Red Dot type sights to scopes this year, due to the dot taking up alot of the target when sight in their shotguns with slugs. Just thought I' d throw that out there. I personally have never used one in a hunting situation.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:15 PM

I have a Tasco PDP3 red dot on a Ruger MK II pistol and I believe the dot is a 5MOA dot. So we' re talking a 5" dot at 100 yds. which doesn' t sound unreasonable to me if you were wanting to put one on a shotgun or rifle for deer hunting. I' ve had the Tasco for several years now and it' s never given me any trouble other than the occasional battery replacement (mainly because I put it back in the case and forgot to turn it off).[:@]
Old 11-13-2003, 02:52 AM

i did lok through my gun cabinet that has all the goodies that i have used in the past couple of years.
i did find my old ( well actually new never used ) simmons model 51112 red dot sight. it is a 4" dot that will cover a 4" circle at 100yds. most i have seen are roughly 6 M.O.A that is way to big.
the red dot sight that i have now will go on my rem 1100 using my 21" rifled barrel. where the shots will less than 75yds anyway.
adco makes a nice one for $279.00 looks almost like a military reflex II but has several reticles to choose from. one red dot is 1, 2, and 3 M.O.A.
i am just wondering . since i don' t want to spend that $$$ on a scope for my BAR for that red dot and find out it covers way too much of the target.
I bought my BAR SAFARI II in 30-06sprg with rion sights so it will never get a scope do to it for staling purposes.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:38 AM

just so ya' ll know u can get a red dot with a little magnification.

u can get an attachment for the bushnell holosight that will make it a 2x....not very much but it may help those wishing to use the holosight with slugs. it will probly help a tiny bit but hey, anything helps i guess.

im also looking to buy a red dot for my shotgun for shots out to 150 yards but i have neevr used a red dot so im just gonna go buy one with a 5moa dot and just see how much it actually covers the target at 150yards, if too much ill take it back for refund but if its still ok ill keep it.

wont getting the bushnell trophy red dot with multi reticles solve the problem? i hear it comes with normal crosshairs so y not get that?

Canadian Hunter312
Old 11-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Quilly, I had a cheap tasco red dot ( $ 40.00 at Walmart) on my sons .243 and it didn' t hold up seemed to me and my wife that the POI changed on each shot it shot groups on a sheet of plywood ...maybe. I switched it to a 4x Bushnell and now that same rifle shoots a group you can cover with a dime.

Quick Reply: red dot scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.