HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   For fun: which guns have "soul" for you or do any? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/427396-fun-guns-have-soul-you-do-any.html)

Father Forkhorn 01-13-2022 07:25 PM

For fun: which guns have "soul" for you or do any?

What guns "speak" to you, come alive, make you feel all warm and tingly inside, etc.? . For some of us, it may be none at all. They're just tools and implements

Here are the ones that have a little magic for me:
A Savage 99r in 300 savage
A Smith and Wesson Victory Model Revolver in 38 special (A WWII production gun that's really just a precursor to the Model 10)
A Marlin model 90 over/under in 20 gauge.
Most of all, a Savage 111 in 30-06, Left hand that I call "Bertha." She's a surprisingly plain gal, and by no means the prom queen, but, my oh my, can she cook.

bronko22000 01-14-2022 06:50 AM

My guns are just tools. I do favor the old lever guns and my 1874 Sharps replica. Adoring or cherishing any of them however would not be following the Word of God. Too many people in this world idolize things like money, cars, guns or whatever and have no interest in God. Sorry for the rant but that's how I feel. I sort of know where you're coming from though. We all have our favorite I'm sure. Right now mine is my Winchester 94 BigBore in 375 Win.

MudderChuck 01-14-2022 06:51 AM

I have a few I really like, if I had to grab one it would be my Steyr SSG 69. My second favorite is a toss-up between my Model 8 and my 1100. A not too distant fourth is my Garand. My favorites are the ones that I can rely on to go boom every time and hit what I'm aiming at. My model 8 and the Garand have been with me for 50 years. The SSG and the1100 for forty years.

Fyrstyk54 01-14-2022 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My .36 caliber Flint lock long rifle is the gun that "speaks" to me. It has taken quite a lot of game for me, and I believe I shoot this gun better than all my other black powder guns including all of my suppository guns.

idahoron 01-14-2022 02:46 PM

The rifle that I grab if I am going deer hunting or antelope hunting is my Hot Rod Hawken

If I am heading out the door to go elk hunting with a muzzleloader My Hot Rod Renegade

If I need to go on pest control duty. Air Arms TX200 22 cal air rifle.

I always take two or three rifles when I do pest control. Past 40 yards to 150 yards I lean on my CZ 455 varmint 17HMR

When I just can't get closer than 150 yards I reach into the back seat and dig out the hammer. CZ 527 varmint 17 Whore-net.

If I absolutely have to hunt elk with a centerfire rifle I dig out the old girl. She has been around almost 70 years, and in my life over 30. Winchester model 70 270 Winchester. Every man in my family has killed game with it. My home would not be the same without that rifle.

Father Forkhorn 01-14-2022 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4401156)
My guns are just tools. I do favor the old lever guns and my 1874 Sharps replica. Adoring or cherishing any of them however would not be following the Word of God. Too many people in this world idolize things like money, cars, guns or whatever and have no interest in God. Sorry for the rant but that's how I feel. I sort of know where you're coming from though. We all have our favorite I'm sure. Right now mine is my Winchester 94 BigBore in 375 Win.

I hear you, Bronko. in the end, they're all just tools and this is just for fun.

The difference for me comes out with a couple of shotguns. One is pump shotgun, plastic stock, wal-mart vintage. I like it, but bringing it to shoulder and swinging on an imaginary target is nothing special. it's just something to hunt with and i know it will work. However, I acquired that Marlin 90 I listed a month or so ago. Shouldering and pointing that thing is a whole other experience, more like suddenly feeling every pheasant, quail, and rabbit in America may now be doomed to extinction.

Father Forkhorn 01-14-2022 04:10 PM

Great photos, IdahoRon. That's impressive hunting.

I like the model 70 and the fact everyone's taken game with it. That sort of ties people together.

Nomercy448 01-15-2022 05:13 AM

Dogs have souls, guns don’t.

Firearms can carry sentimental attachment or may elicit subjective attractions - or not - but God never gifted a soul to any firearm.

Bocajnala 01-15-2022 06:23 AM

The Savage model 99 in .300sav

When I was young my great uncle gave me a big box full of old PA Game News magazines. Somewhere in that box was an article about the Savage model 99 and I dreamed about that rifle for years. I've owned several 99s now over the years.

Everytime I grab one, it just feels right. It's also perfect for Pennsylvania whitetail hunting in my opinion.

-Jake

hardcastonly 01-15-2022 07:18 AM

to me a firearm is just a tool,
and I try to select the best tool for the particular conditions, of,
terrain, game hunted, max range,
basically the potential limitations of the job at hand.

yes I have several favorites,
and I've tried dozens in the selection process over 50 plus years of hunting in several states
generally one of the rifles below get grabbed on the way out the door,
simply because they work flawlessly
a synthetic stock 340 wby mark v,
a sako, synthetic stainless, 375 H&H,
and two browning blrs ,one in 358 win and one in 450 marlin
and a browning 78 single shot in 300 wby
and a bar in 270 win, and a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelan,
what you use is less important than your skill & experience ,
using it,

and YOUR understanding of the limitations in its use.
buy a rifle you like, practice a great deal, and learn to shoot well off hand and from a rest,
until you can rapidly and rather consistently hit a 3"-4" orange dot at 100 yards off hand,
and a 2" dot with a rest and you'll consistently kill game.