Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bears--Got Enough Pistol?? >

Bears--Got Enough Pistol??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bears--Got Enough Pistol??

Old 12-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
your opinion doesn't make MINE wrong that's rather rude and ignorant of you to think so!
if were being honest here!
and Love to know how you figure out a deer vital system, is stronger than that of bears! you must have some magical powers!

and let me ask you this, if bears are SO easy to DIE after being shot
why do so many bear hunters put so much more caution into tracking them
I kn ow very few deer hunters that ever worry about a wounded deer there tracking attacking them!
NOW something I will 100% agree with you on, is, I fully agree, a BLACK bear is no vicious animals trying to attack anyone, odds are they will be long gone before you ever even knew you were near one, and odds of being attacked by one is super rare!
and there is no magic to kill a bear OR a deer, or other living things, put a bullet into there vitals and you will have a end result of a dead animal!
ya ever compare the size of a 150# deer's lungs compared to a 250# bear's? ya ever saw what happens to a 400# bear if his leg is broken? (if you haven't he can't walk, he is too wide to stay off the ground on 1 fron't leg)
Nobody uses any more caution tracking a bear than a deer, at least the hundreds of bear hunters I have been associated with. If not hit in the vitals they will keep running, if they are they do not get out of sight. have not hunted 50 years to not learn anything.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
ya ever compare the size of a 150# deer's lungs compared to a 250# bear's? ya ever saw what happens to a 400# bear if his leg is broken? (if you haven't he can't walk, he is too wide to stay off the ground on 1 fron't leg)
Nobody uses any more caution tracking a bear than a deer, at least the hundreds of bear hunters I have been associated with. If not hit in the vitals they will keep running, if they are they do not get out of sight. have not hunted 50 years to not learn anything.
yes I have seen the lungs of bears from cubs to over 600 lbs
so??
I have also seen bears over 500 lbs walking on 3 legs and broken front shoulders as well as broken rear hips!(hit from vehicles) known of one that walked that way over 8 miles before we got to it to put it down!
SO< let me ask you based on this

so are you saying a BEAR NOT hit in the vital is NOT worth tracking, or unrecoverable??
as I can attest to this for a FACT being wrong based on having tracked dozens of bears wounded from BAD hits that were found, shot again and collected !(I have also tracked some we never found too)
and I can say 100% for a FACT,. many times a bear can be 10 yards away and OUT OF SIGHT!

I know of tons of guides and bear hunters that will totally disagree with you on this, everyone I know that tracks a WOUNDED bear uses more caution than when tracking a deer! due to the FACT a bear has more weapons than a deer has! thats NOT rocket science either! or takes a person 50 yrs to know or learn or should it!!

and just cause one hunts for 50 yrs doesn'rt mean they know everything or are experts on anything!
I know many hunters that have been hunting longer than 50 yrs and are far from even being GOOD at hunting!(and I am NOT saying your Not a skilled experienced hunter here so DON"T take it that way, just stating a fact, yrs doing something alone doesn't mean your a pro at it!)
Old 12-11-2021, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

you win! can't make up better **** than that, have a good day!
Old 12-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hehehehe. I know how ya feel RR. Bears that walk on broken front shoulders and broken rear hips. Penn must have the toughest bears in the world. Most bear hunters talk about shooting them in a shoulder to break it and anchor the bear. Apparently not in Pennsylvania. and if you break a bear's shoulder in PA, that 3 legged bear will chase you down and attach you, whatever that means. Then there's bear biologists who know how to kill bears best with rifle or pistol. They must have some interesting classes to get their degrees. I get confused reading the posts between what he's personally experienced and what he's been told by other people or read. A person can do a lot in 50 years but selling millions of rounds of ammo, selling apparently numerous guns of every caliber, not to mention owning several Glock 10mms (why stop at one) and all of the hunting and biological forays in Penn, Alaska and who knows how many other states. You're right RR, he wins. Can't make it up better than that.

Last edited by elkman30; 12-11-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Hehehehe. I know how ya feel RR. Bears that walk on broken front shoulders and broken rear hips. Penn must have the toughest bears in the world. Most bear hunters talk about shooting them in a shoulder to break it and anchor the bear. Apparently not in Pennsylvania. and if you break a bear's shoulder in PA, that 3 legged bear will chase you down and attach you, whatever that means. Then there's bear biologists who know how to kill bears best with rifle or pistol. They must have some interesting classes to get their degrees. I get confused reading the posts between what he's personally experienced and what he's been told by other people or read. A person can do a lot in 50 years but selling millions of rounds of ammo, selling apparently numerous guns of every caliber, not to mention owning several Glock 10mms (why stop at one) and all of the hunting and biological forays in Penn, Alaska and who knows how many other states. You're right RR, he wins. Can't make it up better than that.
see I told you you have a issue with me, ??
and you claim you don't?

the bear that I listed above that was HIT by a vehicle, was video taped, video sent to local warden, warden showed up r and dispatched it, its a documented case not a MADE up story, but doubt you care about REAL info!

you wish to personally attack me on things I post yet you know NOTHING about what I own or don't to have any say in other wise that is also rather rude and ignorant of one to ASSUME SO!
if you feel a need to TALK about what guns I own , maybe you should learn more about me and not ASSUME you know about me!
(I was a Gold stocking Glock dealer, I owned one of VERY model Glock made and several of a few of there models, if you feel the need to know this info, but doubt that means anything to you, as you will just again ASSUME you know more about me than I do!)
as for PA and its BEAR biologist, well, the MAIN bear biologist for PA and was considered one of the b est bear biologist in the world, was ALSO a game warden and a at one time bear hunter! maybe some other fact you know nothing about yet THINK you do! that you some how thing a person that is a EXPERT on bears which includes there make up, WOULDN"T know what and how to kill them, is sad and also ignorant of basic's on what being an expert on a species is about,
HOW do you think they know much of a drug to give to to put them out to tag and gain other info without KILLING them or harming them
or what about treating them for illness's(like mange with is a big problem in black bears right now)

are bears in PA< harder to kill than bears else where, I dopubt it, never claimed they were,
but it is a FACT , bears in PA< do grow and add weight at a faster rate than any where else , pa has a factual history of having the heaviest for AGE bears , go look that up since I am sure you will doubt me! on this too!
and just maybe??
maybe try taking to some folks that work in wildlife rehab centers and ask them how many animals have been able to recover from vehicle hits , with broken bones and such, before you think they cannot!

if you think ever animal that gets hit b y vehicle dies your sadly mistake, many animals live long, before passing and some DON"T pass from from there injuries, same seal on critters shot poorly, many live long and many suffer greatly, the will to survive is rather strong in most living things, and you'd be surprised what they can over come and or how long they will last till things take there ,life!

so, IMO< you and RR can go live with your heads in the sand, if you think you know it all about m,e
and if you BOTH think that just cause someone hunts for 50 yrs that makes them an expert on all things wildlife, your also full of CRAP
just being a HUNTER, doesn't make anyone an expert, it just means they have 50 yrs of UNKNOWN amounts of time spent doing a SPORT many others also do, some at much higher levels of interest in learning and some NOT so much! and before you go ranting about ME again
I NEVER stated I was a EXPERT, I gave my opinions and experiences as did RR, we just had again different results
BUT I also DID add, what I have learned from REAL experts in the bear world!
but some how that fails to mean anything to , to either of you!
you's both also talk facts, yet what have you added??
then you CLAIM I am MAKING things up?? where are YOUR facts to back that up??
guess again your just a known it all! on all things ME! or just maybe a know it all in general!

ELkman, you have complained about ME getting off topic, yet look what your posting?
so go ahead feel free to add more of your issue's with me, I'm sure you will! your ignorance towards me won;'t surprise me!

also, maybe if you two, RR and elkman, have issue's with me, maybe try sending me a PM's rather than polluting a thread with your dislike of ME! but gather you need others to see your magical powers of knowing all about me !
I also will NOT be replying to either if you again on this topic, if you feel a need to PM me
so, YOU can have the WIN back!

Last edited by mrbb; 12-12-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) thread is not about bears darted by the game commission
2) never mentioned the sizes of bears, having hunted bears from va to nh I am aware they come in different sizes
3) have no dislike for you, just stating you ignore the facts prominate to the thread
4) don't like glocks, its a personal choice
5) thread is not about vehicular injured animals receiving medical care at rehab centers
6) why are you the only one who claims to learn from experience?
7) you are on Ignore, because all you want to do is Rant about how nobody likes you, have a great day!
Old 12-12-2021, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo what Ridge Runner said except I like Glocks. They serve a useful purpose. I'm also not putting you on ignore as I don't put anybody on ignore. If I disagree with what somebody says, I'll post why. If I don't like what somebody continues to say, at some point I simply stop responding. I don't need an ignore button to not read what somebody says. I don't begrudge people who use the ignore button. I just choose not to and don't feel a need.

You keep stating that I don't like you or "have an issue with you." Like RR, I don't have any dislike for you. I also very pointedly have not said "you're full of crap." And I don't care whether you like me or not. We're not buddies, just 2 guys posting on a forum. You say we should just disagree with you in PMs yet don't offer us the same courtesy. You're missing the point. this is a forum where people post things for others to read. Not some private messenger service where you only share your point of view with a single other person. People read these different points of view to help them decide what they think about a given issue, not to see a bunch of posts telling another member they have mail in a PM. People don't always agree on everything. That's called an adult conversation.

FWIW, I agree with you some of the time and think you make good points and advice--some of the time. Other times, you post stuff like seeing bears walking on broken front shoulders and broken rear hips. Aside from the challenges of walking with broken shoulders and hips, when a hunter shoots a bear in the shoulder and blows it out, that shot usually sends broken shards of bone through the heart, lungs, etc. It's why they refer to it as an anchoring shot. There's often a follow up shot to finish the bear but the bear isn't running away. This topic is about shooting bears with pistols, not bears who get in traffic accidents. And hunters do develop some level of expertise or this forum would be a waste of time.

Ridge Runner mentioned the thread isn't about bears getting rehab at a clinic or darted by a game commission biologist. I agree. It's about people with pistols shooting bears and the results they get. Something biologists don't do very much. It isn't about somebody using a light or frangible load in a pistol; it's about a person shooting a bear with appropriate heavy ammo in a pistol and whether the pistol is enough to stop the bear from attacking. I've met a few biologists that hunt but most of them don't so I don't usually consult them for tips on how to shoot bears. I've met a lot (maybe not tons) of guides that guide and hunt for bears. Their job is to get their client a bear and they usually give great advice and have lots of useful experience. So I'll listen to a biologist on where to look for bears, etc. but I'll listen to guides and other hunters for what it takes to kill one.

You post about knowing tons of biologists and guides. Then act like nobody else does. It's not that hard to run into and talk with a lot of biologists and guides at a hunting show. There are also several biologists and guides who write solid articles about their experiences and observations. As well as numerous hunting accounts that often state caliber, bullet selection, # of shots fired, where the shots hit and how quickly or not the bear died. And last but not least, there's personal experience. I have honestly not shot as many bears as Ridge Runner or several other hunters on the forum but my experience has been similar results to theirs. Bears don't run far if you shoot them where it counts. So again, we disagree. although I notice you finally mentioned that a Glock 20 with good ammo is sufficient for bears. Maybe there's hope.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

well anyway, black bears bluff 99.99% of the time, most folks claim they were attacked when witnessing a bluff charge, its a bit unnerving but if you stand your ground they will back off. on the rare occasion a bear commits to a full blown attack, you need a handgun you can shoot well, chest cavity shots will not keep the bear off of you, because the bluff will turn into a real charge at very close range. you must hit the CNS to disable the bruin right now, either a brain or spine shot will be required. a broken shoulder or fron't leg will slow him down giving you a few seconds more to stop him. If I were concerned, I would carry either my 10mm or a 45 commander both in a 1911 model, a blacks skull is not thick, and they have a fairly large brain so you have a 4-8" square target to hit in 3-5 seconds. not a hard feat if you are experienced with your weapon.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read a thread in Off Season about what happened to this site. This thread is what happened to this site. People attacking another person with stupid crap and that have to be right no matter the cost. Their main goal coming to this site is to try and make someone else look stupid. MRBB is obviously very knowledgeable about bears and is trying his best to share his experiences and you so called members just have to attack him, ruin a great thread and try to prove him wrong. It didn't take long for this site to turn my stomach. Go ahead JW, ban me again and let these guys keep ruining your site.
There is hardly nobody left here! Huntingnet and the mods still let the same few guys run their mouths and at the same time run off the few members they have. Who wants to stick around and read the kind of crap that this thread turned into.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 12-27-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see you came back and posted in a few topics. You keep complaining about mods and dare one of them to ban you. Yet the same mod you dare is busy trying to mentor some new hunters in the forums and help them get started in hunting. What are you doing again? Oh yeah. Complaining about old stuff. You might reread all of this topic as it got hijacked a bit by mrbb and then he started posting over the top stuff while slamming a couple other members. Nobody told him to leave or even suggested it. He got upset when called on some of his sillier stuff and then took his marbles and went home. It's funny how a lot of people in these forums see the faults of some yet ignore the faults of others. If you had called everybody out, I would get it it even though I would disagree. But you didn't do that. Instead you called out others and left your buddy alone. And then threw shade on a mod for old stuff that nobody wants to waste time looking up. Somehow I don't think you were entirely innocent back then. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.