Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bears--Got Enough Pistol?? >

Bears--Got Enough Pistol??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bears--Got Enough Pistol??

Old 12-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
I think we did this before. You posted a long couple of posts that go all over the map and then I posted something about the OP topic. You responded that I must have misunderstood you and missed stuff. I posted back about more specifics and it ended up in some kind of draw.

If you want to post some reference material on the OP topic, I will surely read it as this is an interesting subject. But if you're going to continue telling me about your anecdotal information gleaned from all of your contacts in the bear hunting and bear biology world, I'll respectfully pass. I'll give you the part about ammo choice since the OP article didn't state what type of ammo was used. If i were to guess, I'd say the lighter mainly CCW calibers (9mm, 357, 40 smith and 45) prolly used regular CCW carry ammo designed for people. Most of the people I know who carry 10mm's seem to favor the heavy stuff. I don't think there are any lightweight rounds in 41 or 44 mag but I'm sure you'll tell me if that's wrong. although any gun is better than no gun, after reading the article and thinking about the results, I think I'd prefer to carry a 10mm or one of the magnums with appropriate ammo.
well if information from experts in the bear hunting world and bear biology world, do not mean anything to you, SORRY, but ti might to others!
as I already know you don;t like me, and that's OK<no one says you have too!

and I stated the BULLET used matters not just caliber of it!
and its not as easy as saying what caliber, and NOT knowing what ammo was used in the attacks, is a BIG detail that is missing and should be valued as important info if its being sued to recommend a caliber handgun for bear attacks!

as again the 22 rim fire has been PROVEN to kill bears even when in attacks
here is something to read since you asked for links
but I wouldn't suggest to someone to carry a 22 in big bear country for protection, yes better than nothing maybe, but?? even as proven to work in below!

Bear Attacks & 20 Instances of .22 Rimfire Used for Survival

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/10/bea...#axzz7EJT9VmOY

Old 12-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually a really good subject, my position is I want the most powerful pistol I can handle with the ability to get off multiple rounds quickly. The reason being is that the most or more powerful pistols are generally pretty tame when to compared to most rifles. IMO the only way you are going to put it down is with multiple shots. I grant you most of my experience is with Hogs and not Bears, but they both can come in XXL and can generally be tough to kill. I've been switching between .357 and 44 special as my hunting sidearm of choice. And have been wondering if there may be a better choice. The Brown Bear is making a come back in the areas where I usually do my vacation hunts. PPPPPP prior planning prevents pizz poor performance has always been one of my mantras.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
well if information from experts in the bear hunting world and bear biology world, do not mean anything to you, SORRY, but ti might to others!
as I already know you don;t like me, and that's OK<no one says you have too!

and I stated the BULLET used matters not just caliber of it!
and its not as easy as saying what caliber, and NOT knowing what ammo was used in the attacks, is a BIG detail that is missing and should be valued as important info if its being sued to recommend a caliber handgun for bear attacks!

as again the 22 rim fire has been PROVEN to kill bears even when in attacks
here is something to read since you asked for links
but I wouldn't suggest to someone to carry a 22 in big bear country for protection, yes better than nothing maybe, but?? even as proven to work in below!

Bear Attacks & 20 Instances of .22 Rimfire Used for Survival

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/10/bea...#axzz7EJT9VmOY
I think you're misreading things now. I don't like you or dislike you. I do read what you post. Some of it is good and some of it wanders like stream of consciousness style writing. A lot of people write that way but it's hard to decide what their final point or conclusion is about anything. And most of the time, you talk about what others have told you instead of your own experiences. If you write about your experiences, I can ask you follow-up questions. If you write about what "others" have told you, well, I have no idea of their knowledge base or experience level and can't very well ask them follow-up questions to determine what exactly they think or not.

I'll read what a biologist has to say about bears because it might give me pointers about how to find them better. I don't read what biologists say about shooting and killing bears because most of them don't hunt or even kill problem bears (a warden usually does that). I'll read what guides and hunters personally say about their experiences in hunting bears and killing them but am careful about people just saying what guides and other hunters told them. If somebody is repeating a hunt or experience as is, I can see the value. If a person is summarizing what guides and hunters think, I don't see as much value.

The info on killing bears with a .22 was interesting, okay it was fascinating, but, I wouldn't risk that personally. From all of the information I've read about killing bears with a pistol, I'd still want at least a 10mm and preferably a 41 or 44 mag. Since the main thrust of the OP article was about using a pistol in bear country for protection (not hunting bears), a pistol in one of those calibers makes sense. They can be worn in a hip or chest holster so there's no excuse not to have your pistol with you whether you're field dressing an animal or fly fishing in a creek somewhere. Those calibers can be shot very accurately within 25+ yards and are capable of punching through a bear skull with heavier loads if the bear is charging you. And if you're carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm, well, you might be surprised at how many rounds you can fire at closer ranges, even if you're shooting the heavier 200-220 grain heavy rounds.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

i'VE USED A s&w 10" 44 MAG FOR MOST HANDGUN HUNTS
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/293ss&w.jpg
BUT A SERIOUS STEP UP IS THE dwsm IN 445, WHICH CAN COME VERY CLOSE TO 454 cassul ballistics
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/july18/445rt.jpg
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...evolvers.1992/
Old 12-07-2021, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Run up, get done up!

Bruin Country:

Grizzly/Brown Country:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Man, this topic is almost like talking about abortion.

NM, is that a Glock 10mm in your picture?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
NM, is that a Glock 10mm in your picture?
Nope, just a 9x19 G19. Bruins aren’t terribly big, aren’t terribly aggressive, and worse than any aspect of their own, tend to inhabit areas much more frequented by two legged threats.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-09-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

A black bear cannot take a bullet as well as a whitetail, they are not at all hard to kill.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ridge Runner. Kind of what I was looking for. I don't carry a 9 for protection from bears but think some bigger caliber pistols would work, especially since I'm in black bear country.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
A black bear cannot take a bullet as well as a whitetail, they are not at all hard to kill.
I will have to disagree, of the 40+(didn;t keep count) or so bears was part of being shot, I seen many take several rifle hits and keep on trucking when NO vitals were hit!
that lead to either a lost bear or a lot of tracking at times and many times more shot/shot's, to finish them off!(again pending shooter, some guys get excited and accuracy goes out the window sadly)

I hunted with a large group of bear hunters that killed 5-7+ bears every yr for many yrs!, granted many took BAD shots at RUNNING bears
but the simple fact it, they were HIt and kept going many times, so will Not call them any less willing to take a bullet over a deer
both can run afar if they get a bad hit on them
seen many bears live for a while with 3 legs and such after being shot or injured from?? and survive
the will to survive isn't any less on bears than deer IMO!

and keep in mind there is a BIG difference in how much body you have to drive a bullet thru , between a 150 lb bear and and a 500+ lb one! add in possible pissed doff animal(as in attaching you)
which will have adrenaline a pumping and a whole different mind set than a bear wondering the woods unaware of a hunter hunting them!

Last edited by mrbb; 12-09-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.