Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Thinking about double shotguns again--CZ-Bobwhite or... >

Thinking about double shotguns again--CZ-Bobwhite or...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thinking about double shotguns again--CZ-Bobwhite or...

Old 11-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thinking about double shotguns again--CZ-Bobwhite or...

Finally, got out carrying a shotgun, and it stirred up my old like of doubles, especially SXS. My budget would probably max at about $700. I definitely want a 20 guage.

Giving it some thoughts, I'm reading some good things about the CZ-Bobwhite. It seems to have a better reputation than other Turkish guns. I understand CZ contracts with Huglu for a gun built to higher specs and the Bobwhite has double triggers.

There's always the Stevens 311, in a 20 guage.

There is a Marlin 90 in 20 guage sitting in a shop nearby. The Marlin is an over/under, Price tag about $500, perhaps negotiable. It does need a front bead and a recoil pad.

This gun would get used for doves, rabbits, squirrels, and upland birds in that order. .
Old 11-08-2021, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

20 gauge Browning Citori O/U is my favorite for pheasant and quail. You might want to ask that gun shop how much out the door with a bead and pad installed. $500 for an O/U is a really good price.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love my side by sides. I had a CZ Bobwhite 20 ga but I traded it in on the CZ Pheasant 20 ga. It cost a little more but I like the Pheasant model more than the Bobwhite.
Back in my late teens I had a Stevens 311 12 ga with 26" mod and IC chokes. Man did I ever get my share of Mr. Ruffs with that heavy ugly shotgun!
Old 11-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies.

The shop is a pawn shop, so I probably have to take care of the bead and pad.

Bronko, was their anything you didn't like about the Bobwhite? What interests me is the double triggers. My reading says they tend to be more durable.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just bought an american tacticle o/u 20 ga, for the money the little gun has impressed me greatly, screw in chokes, single selective trigger, with selective ejectors/extractors and the gun looks great, and shoots well. think I paid 600 bucks for it.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Just bought an american tacticle o/u 20 ga, for the money the little gun has impressed me greatly, screw in chokes, single selective trigger, with selective ejectors/extractors and the gun looks great, and shoots well. think I paid 600 bucks for it.
Thanks for the recommendation. Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up with the Marlin 90 on an excellent deal. (The owner knows me as one of his pastors and was giving a church donation, really, so I grabbed a pistol case and a shotgun case to give him some more profit).

Anyway, here's the gun: Marlin Model 90 over under, 20 gauge. 28" barrels, single trigger. Choke is likely modified/full (I don't have a choke gauge, but a set of calipers at the muzzle and a couple of charts, suggest it.)

I'll have to put on a new butt pad and am thinking to get the chokes opened up to IC/modified.

If I get time, I'll try to put up some pics.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Think about having the barrels opened up and threaded to acept screw in chokes. But first take it out and pattern the barrels to see where they shoot.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Thanks for the replies.

The shop is a pawn shop, so I probably have to take care of the bead and pad.

Bronko, was their anything you didn't like about the Bobwhite? What interests me is the double triggers. My reading says they tend to be more durable.
The Bobwhite had an English style straight stock. The Pheasant has more like a pistol grip and I like the sides better too. I think its just a prettier gun. I just checked their site and it looks like they don't make the Pheasant any longer but one similar the Sharptail.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-sharp-tail/
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Think about having the barrels opened up and threaded to acept screw in chokes. But first take it out and pattern the barrels to see where they shoot.
Definitely patterning it before I have anything done. Screw-ins might be an option. I've seen one statement that says the throw "spectacular patterns," so I
certainly want to check it out first.

Once I get through grading final exams and deer season, the gun is going out for a hunt. My reading on these things is turning up a lot of good reviews on them, and this one looks to be a good shooter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.