Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifle decision >

Rifle decision

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Which rifle in 6.5PRC
Bergara B-14HMR
0%
Savage 110 Tactical
0%
Savage GRS
0%
Other
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Rifle decision

Old 09-15-2021, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Rifle decision

I am looking to purchase a new rifle for hunting. I plan to use it mostly for deer and hogs but wouldn't mind being able to take down an elk with it too. That being said, I've recently gotten on a new lease that allows me to make shots out to roughly 700yds. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Bergara B-14HMR, Savage 110 Tactical, or Savage GRS. Or maybe someone has a better rifle to fit my needs. I am trying to stay under $1,500.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is a question that cannot be answered really for you by anyone but YOU
as each rifle will fit, a shooter differently
so, what rifle fits me best, might NOT fit you best!

and shooting to 700 yards , isn;'t just the rifle, its the shooter , and them having or NOT having the practice and experience to shoot that far
all the rifles are able to do so, if the shooter has the skills to do so
and took the time to learn them, as well as finding loads that work in THERE rifle,a s again, NO two rifles will like the same load all the time
so, its abbot working with the rifle that fits you best and spending the time and MONEY to find the right load, and then bench time learning the skills to read the wind and shoot accurately in the field and NOT just from a bench!
far too many people today think, that all they have to do is BUY somethings and they will be good at it!

you cannot buy skills and experience!

so again, get to a bunch of shops, and actually handle ea ch rifle your considering and see what one fist you best, then learn how to set it up with the right load by SHOOTING it with many loads till you find the one that works best at ALL ranges you MIGHT shoot at
and then get seat time in shooting at all sorts of distances from BOTH the bench and in actual hunting field positions!
Old 09-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

shooting long range is not hard, but 1500.00 is not enough to work with, your scope will run apporox. 1K of your budget, throw 600 in for a rangefinder and your budget is gone!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seekins Havak. It’ll cost a little more than $1500, I got mine for $1800, but it is a far better rifle than these other options.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say for what your planning on using it for either will suit your needs. Those that shoot competitively really do need to pay the extra $$ if their going to win. The difference between 1/4 MOA and 1/2 MOA can be enough to cost you a match.
Like you I didn't have a fat wallet and to top it off I'm lefty so that narrowed my choices down even more. I ended up getting a LH Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and I love it. Yes I know there are better long range chamberings out there so don't beat me up on that. But for my purposes which is plinking and deer out to 600-700 yards it fits the bill nicely.
I had originally purchased a 8-32x Mueller scope for it and it was nice, especially at the range. The problem was at 100 and 200 yards at 32x it took me a while to find the target. I switched to a 4-12X Vortex Diamondback Tactical. Waiting to see how it is at the 600 yard mark.
BTW if you want the Mueller I'll give you a good price on it. If not I'll stick it on my .17.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Spike

Yo are right. Every shooter shoot differently so we can't say which gun is accurate. As per My experience I love Mauser M18. It fits good as per my shooting style & requirements.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Winchester

Winchester 30/06
Old 11-12-2021, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice to see you are still on the green side of mother earth Scott.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jweld11
I am looking to purchase a new rifle for hunting. I plan to use it mostly for deer and hogs but wouldn't mind being able to take down an elk with it too. That being said, I've recently gotten on a new lease that allows me to make shots out to roughly 700yds. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Bergara B-14HMR, Savage 110 Tactical, or Savage GRS. Or maybe someone has a better rifle to fit my needs. I am trying to stay under $1,500.
I agree with all of the comments above. Especially the part about the rifle needs to fit you. From your above information, it sounds like you're going to use this rifle for hunting where most of your typical hunting shots would be less than 300-400 yards. You could experiment with different factory ammo to find out what's most accurate for your rifle at distances up to 700 yards or handload if it's that important to you. Or you could likely figure out how to stalk closer to the animal so you're within that less than 400 yard range. For that, any of your listed rifles would work. So would a lot of other more traditional hunting rifles (Savage, Tikka, Howa, Remington, Winchester, etc.) that are less expensive.

For elk, you'd probably want at least a 7mm Magnum or one of the 30's. If you bought a more traditional hunting rifle ($400-$800 range), you could buy a good mid level 3x9 scope for $300-$600 and a decent rangefinder and probably stay within or close to your $1500 limit. I realize I'm telling you to consider a rifle that's made for hunting but the above rifles and the many of the recommendations given so far are designed for shooting past 1,000 yards. That's why they cost more. If I've misunderstood your OP statement, please disregard this advice or opinion.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-13-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-13-2021, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you old buddie ...its been awhile since I was last here ...retired in 2019 and moved back to Gods country ...thank you for remembering ole DD and nice to see your still kicking !!