Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My New Deer Rifle >

My New Deer Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My New Deer Rifle

Old 03-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Spike

Just bought an extra clip for this thing. TC doesn't even sell them or list them! Everyone else except Midway was out of them. $32 plus shipping for a 3-shot piece of plastic.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Popgunshooter
Just got this Tuesday and it is a tack hammer.

It's a new Thompson Center Venture Compact .308. 60° (3 lug) bolt lift, short action with a new Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 scope and Hawke medium height rings. They discontinued this rifle and are now making a cheapo "Compass" POS. I saw this at my gun dealer friend's store and snapped it up. If anyone doesn't know about Hawke scopes you should take a look through one sometime.

I had seen a article on a test on 10 low priced scopes. It turns out 9 of the 10 were all made in the same Chinese factory and all had parallax problems. The Hawke is made in China but at their own factory and the product is much better controlled and no parallax problems. I couldn't believe the sharp image when looking through this scope.
Hi there can you guys use suppressors on your hunting rifle's?.

Last edited by Manu; 03-18-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Spike

I would imagine we could but I wouldn't want to. I love my BOOM!!

Found this:

It is legal to purchase and hunt with suppressors in Wisconsin, but owning a suppressor that is not properly registered and taxed is a felony. To my surprise, only a few states prohibit them. And two of them are our neighbors. It is currently illegal to own a silencer in Minnesota and Illinois.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

o n of suppressors for those who lawfully possess them under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
On May 22, 2015, Governor Mark Dayton signed Senate File 878 into law, modifying Minnesota Statutes 609.66, officially making Minnesota the 40th state to legalize the private possession of suppressors for those who lawfully possess them under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
Old 03-24-2021, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Manu
Hi there can you guys use suppressors on your hunting rifle's?.
yes we in the USA can use them to hunt with, in most places, as long as there legal suppressors

BUT one of the issue's one will have using them, is, you will find yourself getting more attention than many want or the hassle's of PROVING you have a legal one, and to have to carry the paperwork along with you to do so,
it can get to be a pain in the A$$ if you follow

I was a dealer for them (suppressors)
and have owned many personally over the yrs
and cannot tell you how many times I was stooped just due to, beings even with one on a firearm!
and add in MANY law enforcement officers here have NO clue what the REAL legal side of them is,(class III items in general here ) or what the LEGAL paperwork looks like or , what is needed to PROVE things
and you can end up spending a LOT of down time, explaining and proving your NOT a criminal, and legally own things!

I know I have spend a LOT of time, being DETAINED by law enforcement officers(and no bash here just saying)
explaining things to them, waiting on supervisors to show up, that know more than first officer did, or??
and it can get frustrating., pending where your at and where using things

I DO thing things are getting better with more ways and info out there
BUT if one wants to hunt with one here, I strongly suggest making sure you KNOW all the LEGAL FINE PRINT details, and carry your PROOF with you and don't be shocked if your held/detained and have to explain your self to law enforcement officers or??
Old 03-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

NOW< back on topic
I will State this
finding a load/bullet your rifle likes, doesn't ONLY have to do with bullet weight,
as Shape Design, and BC, all come into play!
as do powders used under said head!

I have a lot of very high end super accurate custom rifles, that are SUPER picky on things they like
and have some that will ONLY shoot one bullet design and powder combo, to get max results

where same grain bullets of other types will shoot 2 inch groups, one's of EXACT SAME WEIGHT< will shoot sub 1/2 inch groups

so, just changing bullet weight isn;'t the only part of finding a round YOUR rifle will like

and I will go as far as to say this too
since your planning to deal with factory loaded ammo

I have seen guns shoot same factory loaded ammo, but of different ammo runs, meaning ALL ammo NOT from the same lot
shoot differently!, as in group sized changed just from LOT to LOT of exact same factory ammo load!

SO, typically and I know this time with ammo being scares and crazy high priced

BUT once things calm down, and you find ammo gun likes
I strongly suggest buying a few boxed of same lot ammo to have for rifle!

its worth buying once you find what it likes!
call it all food for thought !
Old 03-24-2021, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Suppressors in 🇺🇸

Originally Posted by Popgunshooter
I would imagine we could but I wouldn't want to. I love my BOOM!!

Found this:

It is legal to purchase and hunt with suppressors in Wisconsin, but owning a suppressor that is not properly registered and taxed is a felony. To my surprise, only a few states prohibit them. And two of them are our neighbors. It is currently illegal to own a silencer in Minnesota and Illinois.
Thanks in NZ we are using both muzzle brakes & Suppressors nationwide. I use a suppressor reduces noise, low recoil and deer have know idea what is happening or where the shot has come, so you can follow up a second+ shot if you need to.

Last edited by Manu; 03-24-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:19 PM
Spike

Since I used to reload for years I know exactly what you're saying and totally agree. I did have a Ruger 77 Stainless Synthetic in .300 win mag that would take ANYTHING (factory ammo) I gave it and put ALL of it in the same 1" circle. I'm talking different bullet weights (at 100 yards), different brands etc. It never changed zero. I have no explanation why but I spent many hours on the range with that rifle and put down every animal I ever shot at with it. I could not improve on it with my handloads and I tried ball powders, extruded powders, different brand and weight bullets.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:06 PM
Spike

'Actually found a box of Federal power shok .308 150 gr. online and snapped them up. Now I can do some more shooting with this rifle and see how these work.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:50 AM
Spike

Okay. heavier bullet is the answer. Now to find the best 150 gr..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.