Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about my AR >

Question about my AR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about my AR

Old 01-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default Question about my AR

I have a bushmaster, looking to change the barrel to a 20" for hunting. Looking for recomendations, as well as have a question... is it fairly easy to do the swap? Is it as simple as just changing the barrel out (im aware that its not actually that easy, looking for someone to quickly explain what goes into it), or will i need to change other parts as well?

Thanks, Landon
Old 01-13-2021, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Replacing a barrel in an AR isn’t difficult, but it does require some specialized tools and some knowledge.

What is the current barrel configuration? Barrel length and handguard type? Pinned front sight block or clamp on? Clamshell handguard or free float?

What is your desired end state? Free float or clamshell? Low profile block or front sight base?

Are you looking for match grade Precision or minute of man at 100yrds?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree its not that hard but to be honest you most likely just better off buying a different upper, as the costs for tools and and effort to make it right
might be better off just getting second upper and then you have a extra upper of a different size if you ever need or want to swap back and forth

OR just SELL the old upper and that should come close to covering the costs of a new one, or allow some extra $$ to put towards it at least!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by landonclark13
I have a bushmaster, looking to change the barrel to a 20" for hunting. Looking for recomendations, as well as have a question... is it fairly easy to do the swap? Is it as simple as just changing the barrel out (im aware that its not actually that easy, looking for someone to quickly explain what goes into it), or will i need to change other parts as well?

Thanks, Landon
Faxon sells a tremendous 18" barrel that would be perfect for you. You can pair that with any good free float handguard and be in business. Just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Swapping out an AR barrel is super easy you just need a vise, a lower bench block, an armorers wrench and a torque wrench.

Link to Faxon 18" barrel: https://ar15discounts.com/products/f...ension-barrel/

Last edited by Valorius; 01-14-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

what's your current barrel? 16" 18?

why do you want to change it?

I'm pretty sure there's no reason to change your barrel for hunting unless you have a bull 24" or 20" maybe...
Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that getting a different upper would be the easiest way to go. Unless you plan on doing a lot of work on different AR rifles like NoMercy does and decide to buy the tooling necessary.
Deltateamtactica..com has a lot of uppers in different chamberings and sell them at a reasonable price.