Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My Savage .308 rifle at 2" high at 100 yards... >

My Savage .308 rifle at 2" high at 100 yards...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My Savage .308 rifle at 2" high at 100 yards...

Old 10-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My Savage .308 rifle at 2" high at 100 yards...

Deleted....

Last edited by ButchA; 10-08-2020 at 04:51 AM. Reason: I'm done...
Old 10-07-2020, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Please correct me if I am wrong here but if that was printed on 8.5" x 11" and in standard PDF then those are 1" grid blocks. With that in mind, thats a pretty spread out group of around 3.5" spread in your 5 shot string. At 100 yards, that is pretty awful. Especially locked in to a rest. I get better than that at 100 yards with my .50 caliber Hawkens with PRB and shooting with a mono pod.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deleted...

Last edited by ButchA; 10-08-2020 at 04:51 AM. Reason: I'm done...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry if this offends you as well, but if there 1/2 inch blocks,
4 blocks would be an inch square and that group is NOT in a 1 inch square?

and as for hunting its more than acceptable in accuracy,, so NO bash here on saying other wise,
BUT< in all honestly, that is far from an amazing group from a .308 rifle(and NOT all .308 rifles like any load or bullet, they can ALL be different in how they Like or dislike something)

and honestly, most ALL of my .308's will shoot almost 1 hole groups(size of a quarter more or less) with loads they like and if I do my part at a 100 yards and in a locked in rest!
Sub MOA rifles are NOT that un common at a 100 yards these days from, factory rifles and factory ammo!
again, there NOT needed for hunting deer at normal ranges, but just saying,
a group like what your showing , isn't all that super if were being honest here!
Old 10-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, guys... Seriously?

Grouping is grouping, no matter what... 1 inch squares, 1/2 inch squares... I shot generic reloads from a gunshow company at 100 yards. I could have taken a {expletive} plain piece of paper with a spray painted bullseye on it, and shot at it from 100 yards. I would have gotten the same pattern, roughly 1" apart.

GET OFF OF ME.... I'M OUTTA HERE...
Old 10-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you're ready to hunt out to a few hundred yards. Deer don't carry rules or tape measures.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry your taking our reply's so hard, wasn't meant that way from, me,
but if your going to come on and more or less bragging about a group and then when folks like me and above me, pointed out, that using YOUR squares you had shown, that it did NOT represent a 1 inch group
what do you want us to do, go along with a lie?
and then you even added how great the load you shot was ina 308
and now your saying there generic loads?

I been a accuracy buff/shooter almost all my life , several decades now, so, I KNOW what 1 inch groups look like and what you shown was not one, sorry NOT trying to be offensive, just being honest
I also stated that what you had would be a great deer hunting group,. and nothing wrong with it, other than it didn;'t measure what you said it did!
I again never meant any offence, I was just adding MY opinion to a open post on a forum, with a claim, I found to be wrong?
I gather that if you seen something wrong you too might point it out no??

but if I offended you, I'll say it, , I'm , sorry,
it wasn't my point,
I was just trying to show what I seen and gave accurate info on how I got my size on your target using YOUR info YOU provided!

other wise, , AGAIN, I stated before and will again, your good to go for deer season!
Old 10-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I'm taking things serious.... Not just this forum but others, really, REALLY pi$$ed me off...

Excuuuuuuuse me if I'm not capable of knocking a fly off a manure wagon at 500 yards!!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... you guys all some type of ex-Green Beret military sniper?!? Pffffffftttt... deer, elk, hogs, don't know the difference! Gimme a break....

I just got home (once again) channeling my anger into 4 shots at 100 yards. 2 with a benchrest, with the scope zeroed back down. 2 more with the scope back 4 clicks up (1" high @ 100 yds) and without the benchrest, just propped up on my elbows. Let's see I get torn all apart again, badmouthed, to where I couldn't shoot my way out of a wet paper bag...

Old 10-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Butch, unlike the others, I really don't care if I offend you or not. But I'm to tell it like it is. You have a rifle there that is a fine rifle for deer hunting. But it is not THAT accurate a rifle. In fact I've owned a few Savage rifles that would easily shoot much better than that off sandbags let alone locked into a solid rest. The pic I attached is the first outing with my Savage Axis in 350 legend after installing a scope. My first shot was wide right. I over adjusted the scope and the next shot went a bit wide left. I then re-adjusted the scope and proceeded to shoot 5 more shots. The hole in the almost center of the bull has 2 bullets through it and the figure 8 shape a little higher and right has 3 bullets in it. That bull is 1.25" in diameter so you're looking at 5 rounds into about 3/4". And just so you know, this isn't the most accurate rifle I own. This is a rifle I just bought earlier this year as a "beater" rifle. And no I don't spend thousands of $$ on custom rifles. I only buy standard production rifles.
So don't go getting all pi$$y at these forum members that have a lot more shooting experience than you have because they don't agree with your "accurate" groups. Besides, 2 shots do not make a group. Shoot several 5 shot groups without adjusting the scope and then you'll see how well your rifle shoots.
Your rifle is plenty accurate for 95% of the hunting the average person does but it isn't spectacular. So just suck up the factual comments Buttercup and live with it.
Attached Thumbnails My Savage .308 rifle at 2&quot; high at 100 yards...-350-legend-target.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remember the original post since you've deleted it but my above post was based on me getting the idea you were shooting a fun rifle or deer rifle and not something you were trying to compete with at 1000+ yards. If I got that wrong, my bad. But, I still think your group is just fine, especially for deer or bear hunting and any coyotes who come into range. Looking at the target posted above, it looks like shots 1 & 2 were your core group about the size of a quarter. Shots 3 & 4 were a little higher with maybe a little bit of wind or shooter movement while shooting. Not bad either way. If you look closer, it looks like shot 3 was some kind of outlier (it happens to everybody at some time). If you add shot 4 to shots 1 & 2, that's still a very good group for multiple shots at a time. Enjoy your rifle and go hunting with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.