Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?" >

Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?"

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?"

Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?"

Those who are in the central Virginia area know of the LGS called Green Top, which started out as a nice little, mom 'n pop, type of store... Then it grew and grew, and now still maintains that down home feel, everybody knows everybody, etc... and it can compete with Bass Pro, Cabela's, and hold its own!

Anyway, getting to the point... Check out this excellent article about ammo from their site. It's mainly their take on the original article from Recoil Magazine.

https://www.greentophuntfish.com/lea...-all-the-ammo/

Also, as seen in the image below, I had stopped in there, after seeing NOTHING in Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc... except 12ga and 20ga birdshot, and 30-06 and .270 rifle ammo at a wicked high price $41.99 a box!!

.45 ACP --- GONE. 9mm --- GONE. .38spl --- GONE.

I just happened to really look close at the rifle shelves, and to my surprise, I found THE LAST TWO BOXES OF .308 AMMO!! You know and I know, as does everyone, if I had walked away and gone to the fishing section to look at Rapala crankbaits or whatever, and then came back to the rifle ammo shelves, the .308 ammo would've been gone!

$21.84 a box (including my military retiree discount)! 150gr FMJ target rounds. Man, I feel like I hit the lottery! I mean, even the clerk at the register was talking about stuff to the other clerk how they can't even keep ammo on the shelves anymore. People apparently figured out the truck driver's delivery schedule, and they show up at 6:00am, and scarf up the ammo as soon as it gets checked in (inventory control). Good Lord!

Old 09-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Since 2015 until covid started ramping up, I'd been trying to buy a box of something every week. To make sure I never ran out.

Now I have lots of ammo but I'm afraid to shoot it. Lol.

I've sold a couple boxes this summer already to deer hunting guys that didn't have enough for this fall and were having trouble finding it.

When things are back to "normal" I'll go back to buying.

-Jake
Old 09-25-2020, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also heard that another major problem with the "ammo crisis" is that the massive copper mines in Chile and Peru, which now operate on a skeleton crew due to COVID-19. Copper + Zinc = Brass (well... an alloy at first, but when refined, becomes brass).

No brass = severe ammo shortage, severe musical instrument (trumpet, trombone, etc..) shortage too.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think I'll run short for quite some time. I have about 1000 45ACP, 1000 40 S&W, 2000 9mm. Maybe 500 each of 7-08 and 6.5 CM, a truckload of 5.56 and about 5000 30-06 and maybe 500 rds of .45-70.. Plus I have maybe 20-30 lb of powder of various burn rates and all kind of bullets.. And if worse comes to worse I have about 50 lb of lead and 20 lb of black powder and substitutes and several bullet molds.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Since 2015 until covid started ramping up, I'd been trying to buy a box of something every week. To make sure I never ran out.
Same here. I’ve been dollar-cost averaging my ammo and components since the late 1990’s. I don’t run out because I plan to avoid running out. I’ve not been below 20lbs of Varget/H110/H4350, less than 10,000 of any size of primer, less than 30,000 rounds of 22LR, or less than 10,000 rounds of 9mm on hand even despite any of the various “supply shortages” over the last decade. I also keep separate books for competition components - if I run dry on my competition components, I’ll still have my “casual use” inventory which largely exceeds what I would expect to use in my own lifetime.

But I keep buying more at every paycheck...
Old 09-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't need to read an article to know that when regular (non-military) ammo disappears from the store, it's cause people are stockpiling. Covid, riots, looting, protests some police departments going hands off and people just wanting to protect their families along with new gunowners wanting ammo for their new guns. They say theres record gun purchases and 40% or more of the gun buyers are first time buyers. That's a lot of demand non a ammo production system that's been producing at max capacity for the last decade or so.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
I don't need to read an article to know that when regular (non-military) ammo disappears from the store, it's cause people are stockpiling. Covid, riots, looting, protests some police departments going hands off and people just wanting to protect their families along with new gunowners wanting ammo for their new guns. They say there's record gun purchases and 40% or more of the gun buyers are first time buyers. That's a lot of demand non a ammo production system that's been producing at max capacity for the last decade or so.
You are correct about the gun sales going through the roof lately. And with gun sales increasing its only natural that ammo sales also increase. As far as stock piling - many of us have been doing it for years as you an tell just by the replies to this post. As Nomercy pointed out that I forgot I have a couple 50 cal ammo boxes filled with 22 LR ammo that I've amassed over the years. I also have a crap load of 17 HMR too. I'll never shoot all my ammo in my lifetime unless the s**t hits the fan. And if that happens I will be adequately supplied as well as my friend is.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always kind of chuckle when the news portrays somebody with a few hundred rounds of ammo as some sort of freak. A basic load (what you carry on your person) for your average infantryman is around +/- 300 rounds. One reload is another 300 rounds. A long gun and a short gun for every family member adds up fast, for instance, my family is four. One basic load and one refill for each adds up to around 2400 rounds total. Everything beyond that is a stash.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

cause republicons are scurred....

ya'll have enough ammo, chill out, smoke some weed.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Spike

Ammo shortage?
Let me share with you a perspective from Peru, South America, where I live and hunt.
And I have really gotten into airgunning in the last couple of years. It's amazing what these newer PCP guns can do, very powerful, big calibers, pellets and slugs.
So.....

Ammo shortage?
Yeah, for something to be described "shortage" means that the supply is "short," as in it's less than needed.
But shortage implies that there IS supply, just not quite enough. 🤔

So, in the US there is definitely an airgun ammo "shortage." Backordered till who know when....! 😟

But here in Peru, thanks to Corona, we don't have no "shortage" — because supply does not exist — the biggest ammo seller in the country had one Chinese brand in .22 — the one that is only good for fishing weights.....

So, thankfully I had the opportunity to scrounge up some ammo in the US — AND I had a person traveling from the US to Peru to bring it down.
I haven't heard the end of the complaints that LEAD is so dang HEAVY...! 🤣

Matthias

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.