Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?" >

Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Excellent article on "where's all the ammo?"

Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be dead long before I ran out of ammo, and I don't even keep the preposterous sized stockpiles that the average hoarder does.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I always kind of chuckle when the news portrays somebody with a few hundred rounds of ammo as some sort of freak. A basic load (what you carry on your person) for your average infantryman is around +/- 300 rounds. One reload is another 300 rounds. A long gun and a short gun for every family member adds up fast, for instance, my family is four. One basic load and one refill for each adds up to around 2400 rounds total. Everything beyond that is a stash.
210rds has been the basic infantryman's combat loadout since the introduction of 30rd magazines (6x in two triple pouches 1 in the gun).

Automatic riflemen used to carry 10 mags (3x triple pouches), 300rds.

It was also common for troops to carry a slung bandoleer on stripper clips as well. (5x 20rd boxes in the 20rd mag era, and then 4x 30rd boxes in the 30rd era). That would give a total load of 330rds for a standard rifleman.

Veterans on patrol in Afghanistan often take to the field with 150rds. I carry the same amount in my "Break glass in case of xenomorph invasion" gear.

I recently watched an absolutely outstanding youtube video with the former Command Sergeant Major of 5th special forces group who outlined how, on raids, SF guys used to ring their web belt with GI canteen pouches, and put 1x 30rd surrounded by 5x 20rd magazines in each one. In that fashion each man could carry 720rds.

A modern day USMC M27 IAR gunner has 22x 30rd magazines, with the load spread across the squad.

<---- ex infantry

Last edited by Valorius; 12-31-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
cause republicons are scurred....

ya'll have enough ammo, chill out, smoke some weed.
That explains some of your posts.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Imagine bringing politics into the guns section. Salukipv is a very Russian sounding name. Just saying.

Seems like a bannable offense.

But since he brought it up, a massive % of this gun and ammo sales spike we've seen is A) ANTIFA/BLM types arming up for their marxist revolution and B) scared inner city liberals realizing that, hey, maybe the 2nd amendment isnt really that bad an idea afterall.

BTW, marijuana use is a prohibiting offense when it comes to the 2nd amendment an the right to keep and bear arms.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 AM
Spike

Up here in Canada they keep blaming you guys down south for hoarding ammo which at least up here creates shortages and drives up the prices. But I believe ammo was in shorter supply when Obama was in in office than with COVID. I still see bulk packs of 9mm, 45ACP, .223, .308 and .22 kicking around. Staring to see some of the Chinese Norinco ammo leaking out to the public.

Either way I buy it up when I see it on sale........nothing crazy but enough to feed my guns for the better part of a year.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Spike

Really great article.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't need to read an article to know that when regular (non-military) ammo disappears from the store, it's cause people are stockpiling.
Yeah but we have had similar situations before and yet the shortages never ran on for this long. Besides if hoarding was the only answer then wouldn't the shortages be mostly of home defense and s#^t hit the fan type ammo like .223 or 9mm? What cannot be found for love or money in my neck of the woods is hunting ammo in calibers like 30-06, 270, 7mm-08, 243 etc, etc. I keep hearing about all these new gun owners who ran out and bought a gun out of fear over all the social unrest across the land. But if that was your reason for buying your first gun what kind would you get? Wouldn't an AR 15, a handgun or hell even a shotgun be a better SHTF weapon than a bolt action rifle in a hunting caliber like 30-06? I just can't believe all these new gun buyers are the reason for all the hunting ammo being gone. That makes no sense to me.

Back when Obama got elected there was a lot of panic buying of guns and ammo as well. Not only that but the conflicts in Iraq and Afganistan were much bigger and more intense back then. Lot more boots on foreign soil that had to be supplied with ammo. Also around the same time the department of homeland security purchased over a billion rounds of ammo. That's a huge order. And all those things I just mentioned did cause a shortage in supply for private citizens like myself. But that shortage lasted about 2 months.

Now the overseas conflicts are a wisp of what they were back then. No huge government ammo purchases. And yet we are a full year into this drought with no end in sight. I just don't understand what has made it so much worse this time and I don't buy a lot of the excuses that I have heard.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

:confuse d0024:

Ain’t the first time, won’t be the last.

I didn’t even have to work as hard to find all of my components this year for my PRS/NRL season as I did the last two years... I picked up 4,000 BR2’s and BR4’s, 500pc of 6 creed and 300pc of 6.5 grendel (form into 243 LBC), 16lbs of H4350, 16lbs of Varget, and 8lbs of 8208, and 1500 103ELD’s and 2500 109 Hybrids during Dec and Jan. Last season it took about 3 months of stalking to find 2500 105’s, and I spent 4 months two years ago trying to accumulate 24lbs of H4350...
Old 01-25-2021, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it sucks because most of my local gun stores do not have a lot if any product in stock. Yes, I can chase down ammo at some mail order outfit but I like buying it locally.