Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Finally after many years >

Finally after many years

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally after many years

Old 09-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Finally after many years

I made the fatal mistake of going to my local gun shop today and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a excellent condition competition grade M1 Garand complete with CMP hard case, clip and sling straight from the CMP. What a beautiful specimen. I didn't have enough on me to pay for it so I plopped a down payment on it and will be picking it up tomorrow.
Price was significantly less than I expected.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

is it not amazing that those rare deals have never seemed to have arrived,
when you had more than enough cash in your pocket?
now I don,t mean, you don,t have enough, to complete the transaction,
in a local ATM, or your checking account,
but there seems to be an unwritten law of the universe, that states,
locating a rather rare and desirable, high quality firearm, thats been on your personal wish list,
for months or years, will only happen if you don,t have the cash required in your pocket at the time!
I know I have visited many gunshops and gun shows, actively looking for items on a shortlist of desirable firearms, I really wanted,
with more than enough cash to pay for what I thought was a reasonable offer/price,
and at times the price was far lower than I expected to pay, yet no matter the price,
or the item, I have yet to find what I was looking for.with the correct amount of cash on hand,
but.... buy something else, so your a few bucks down at the time.... and the odds skyrocket that you only then,
will you find what you really wanted, and have spent months looking for...
and have to run out to find a local ATM.
example
I scouted gunshows, made phone calls and visited pawnshops for several years looking for a decent condition, lightly used browning superposed 12 ga
and Id set aside $3500 I looked for over 2 years, no luck..... the day after I had to replace a transmission in my wifes car, and dipped into the seperate stash
I get a call from my local gunshop , exactly what I was looking for was tradded in..... and yeah I rarely buy on a credit card....
but I could not let it pass and luckily the price was very good.(far lower than I expected for the gun in that condition.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Hardcast the good thing about this is that the shop is only about 3 miles away and the owner is a good friend of mine. He took my deposit and I will be giving him the rest of the cash tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great grab! I keep telling myself, I need to buy another Garand and an M1A, such my son will get to experience them. And then I remember why I sold mine - as much as I want to want them, I never actually want to own them once I have it at home. But I’ll probably have to buy them again to get my boy’s hands on them sooner than later.

As much as I enjoyed the sport, the CMP Garand makes me think of the Will Smith movie, “I am Legend,” - somewhere in that abandoned metropolis, there is a museum, an artifact of a dead civilization itself, full of artifacts of dead civilizations. The Garands have been a disadvantaged specialty class among CMP/Highpower matches for a long, long time, largely only shot for the nostalgia and CMP/Highpower has sadly been a dying sport for a long time now itself, largely only shot by a nostalgic few.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Great grab! I keep telling myself, I need to buy another Garand and an M1A, such my son will get to experience them. And then I remember why I sold mine - as much as I want to want them, I never actually want to own them once I have it at home. But I’ll probably have to buy them again to get my boy’s hands on them sooner than later.

As much as I enjoyed the sport, the CMP Garand makes me think of the Will Smith movie, “I am Legend,” - somewhere in that abandoned metropolis, there is a museum, an artifact of a dead civilization itself, full of artifacts of dead civilizations. The Garands have been a disadvantaged specialty class among CMP/Highpower matches for a long, long time, largely only shot for the nostalgia and CMP/Highpower has sadly been a dying sport for a long time now itself, largely only shot by a nostalgic few.
Well Nomercy I have wanted one for a long time. I picked it up today and headed right to the range. My friend gave me a full bandalero belt with 10 full clips of WWII vintage FMJs. And I took along some 180 gr Rem Core-lokts I had loaded from back in 1990. Wow that darn thing could shoot! Once I was sure it was sighted in my friend and I proceeded to put a hurting on the 8" gongs @ 200 and 10" 300 yard gongs. We both hit the gongs about 50% of the time and the misses were not missed by much.The front post sure covers up a lot of area at those distances.

Like you say, its merely a bit of nostalgia but what a blast. I shot them before and never owned one. I have a lot of respect for our infantry men that carried these rifles all over the European theater as well as Korea.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-25-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM
Spike

Whoa! That's crazy. My step dad spent almost 10 years trying to assemble one with parts from the same factory. What a good find man!